Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly buying a couple used sleds in the U.S. Any Canadians buy a used sled in the States lately? What''s the duty like? Anything "special" that has to be done when transferring ownership, or crossing the border with the snow machine?
Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I may be completely mistaken, but I BELIEVE that they have tried to put a stop to doing this because of the Canadian dollar. A couple years ago my buddy had a dealer bring one in for him because they have the proper transfer license. I dunno... phone the MTO and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bought mine from the US last year for $4000.
I had the owner bring it to Canada for me and I had to pay 300 plus in duty. Then you have to have it safety checked to make sure the sleds meets Canadain standards (100 or so at Canadian Tire) and then I had to lic and register it. Another 300 or so...
After everything was said and done, I was on the snow with my virtually new 2003 Yamaha Viper for $5600. All taxes, exchanges, and duty in.
Vipers were going around 5500-6000 here in Canada, but none of them were such low kms. (800).
Make sure you go check out the Canada Border Services Webpage...
you'll need to get letters of recall from Yamaha and you'll have to inform boarder services that you will be coming back across the boarder with a sled. Do your homework on this... I have the link that I used at home, so I can post that if you'd like. If you don't look into all of this, you WILL regret it. There are quite a few things you have to do.
Now that the Canadian dollar is almost at par, I think it'd be worth the time!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with Canadian border services and they said no duty at all on sleds unless they're 25 yrs old or older (antique), and all I have to pay is the taxes at the border, and make sure I have the title and bill of sale. So I dunno now. I'd hate to be comming back and end up with a big mess on my hands because I dont' have proper paperwork or something.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, found out the REAL DEAL on bringing a US sled to Canada.
1.) Snowmobile must have original sticker with VIN# on it.
2.) 3 days before bringing the snowmobile across the border, the VIN# must be reported to US Customs so that they can check for liens and clear the title.
3.) At the Canadian border, applicable taxes must be paid. Must have proper Title and bill of sale from seller. Canadian border will also give FORM 1 to fill out for the purpose of importing the snowmobile. There is no duty to be paid on snowmobiles newer than 25 yrs old. ( I think that's something new in the last year).
4.) Must then send $206.00 and Manufacturer's recall documents on that particular snowmobile to Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Who will then send you paperwork and forms to fill out.
5.) Sled then gets taken to Canadian Tire so that they can verify the VIN# on the sled, is the same that has been reported to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. They will sign a form stating that they have checked that. The cost is INCLUDED in the original $206 paid to the Registrar.
6.) Paperwork and Title can then be taken to the local ministry of transportation office and Snowmobile can be registered to the new owner. (I would say bring reciept proving the taxes have already been paid at the border just in case they try and ding you again at the ministry office)

Now... after all of this.... is it still worth while to buy used sleds in the U.S.? Time to start shopping around to find out.
Anyone know of a good online "Auto Trader" type site for Michigan?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Now... after all of this.... is it still worth while to buy used sleds in the U.S.? Time to start shopping around to find out.[/b]

Absolutely yes!!

A friend of mine just imported a 2005 600 SDI Renegade with -/+ 3,000 miles on it for $4,000.!!

You bet yer azz it's worth it. Try to find one of them up here for less than $6500

BTW, I bought my wife's Renegade in New York State, at the time I figured I saved about $1,500 after fuel and everything. It's really not difficult, just check out the http://www.riv.ca/ website....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think its a great deal in wis if you look around they are selling cheap . My son just got a 2000 , 600 cat with 1200miles on it for 700.00 .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just brought an 02' Mxz 700 limited edition across last weekend. It has 1100 miles on it and is in excellent condition. I figure I saved myself 1000$ over buying one here. Saw some for even cheaper than I paid but this one was closest and had less miles on it. Definitely cheaper in the U.S.
A bit of a pain to bring it across but well worth it . Follow ICEFISHERMAN's steps to the letter and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A realy good site is sledswap.com they have a lot of sleds on there with alot from Mich. Another great spot is whitestar auctions its in Bronson Mi,about a 7hr dirve from the Soo but worth it. I've seen brand new 05 & 06 600's of any brand go for under $4000.00, and 2005 A/C z570's for around $2000.00. Also check Hard core snowmoibiler there's lot's there too. :christmas:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Seems like a lot of hassle for not much savings...[/b]
WTF???

there is HUGE savings buying in the States

Ice fisher is only 1.5-2hrs from border

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Sold my sisters sled to a family from over the border, they had to follow very similiar steps to what Icefisherman posted. The only thing that was different was that got to skip a few of the steps as the sled was build in Canada, as too which ones I can't remember. They drove 5 hours, spent the night in a hotel and they still figured they saved $2000 on my sisters 2003 Legend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts