Snowmobile World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying my first snowmobile this year. Even though I have never been on one before, I thought it was a good way to get out of the house because is so long up here, lots of people at work and friends have sleds to go out with, and we have a huge amounts of trails.

Basically I am looking for something reliable to get me around town and enjoy myself.

In any case, I narrowed it down to these two snowmobiles.

- 2000 Polaris Indy XC 700
in excellent condition with 1500 miles on it. the seller wants $6000 can for it

- 2003 Polaris Super Sport 550
new machine from the dealership. $7000 incl. skid plate and ski protectors.

any ideas/suggestions/tips on how those two compare to each other?

I like the XC because it's bigger and cheaper but because I never had a sled I like the idea of having a new one with warranty. A 700 might also be overkill?

thanks!

G

·
AS FOR THE 700 BEING OVERKILL

A SLED IS ONLY AS FAST AND DANGEROUS AS THE RIDER MAKES IT

ID TAKE THE 700, GREAT SLED, WILL KEEP UP WITH THE PACK, SMOOTH RIDE AND IT IS LIQUID COOLED, THE SUPER SPORT IS FAN COOLED, NICE LITTLE SLED BUT UNLESS ITS -10C OR COLDER THEY JUST DONT RUN LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO. NO QUESTIONS THE 700 IS THE SLED TO BUY IMO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Since this is your frist sled I would go with the 550, that 700 with put you on your ### if you are not careful about it. Just like anything else I think you should start off smaller and work you way into the bigger sled. There is nothing wrong with those 550s running at 35F, they run just fine as long as you are not agressively riding it for a long period of time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track looking at Edge chassis sleds, look at e-bay or trader online sled section, gives you a wide inventory and a price spectrum for used/new sleds. A good middle of the road sled that you won't grow tired of would be a 600xc these things are quick. Even a 440 is dangerous in the wrong hands so if you want the 700 get it and be careful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would ask a couple of your friends if you could take a spin on their sleds. Then you could get an idea of what you might like.
What kind of riding are you going to be doing? Is there a big lake close by? If you have alot of flat open land/lake I would get atleast a 700. If you are looking for a good deal you might beable to find a left over mxz 700 trail for like 5700. If you live in the north east I would check out this site for used sleds....http://www.bargainnews.com/BNO/CatResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=5000&make=Snowmobiles
But it is worth checking into some left over sleds

·
Registered
708 Posts
If it was me i would look for a 500 or 600 edge. Try to get a liquid cooled model. A 500 would be a great intro sled that after a good year of learning you would be able to sell for alot more resale. If you are buying new look at the "Indy 500" great all around liquid sled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the price on that supersport is a little i am not sure where you are lcoated and i just picked up a 2003 with 96 studs cover tunnel protectors and ski protectors for 4700 i am in the northeast

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the answers so far... in case there's more coming, here are a few more details.

i live in northern canada so prices are in canadian dollars.

weather wise for most of the season it will be between -15 and -40 C (+5 to -14 F)

there are many frozen lakes here and even more trails through woods.

i am just looking for a sled to cruise around, go on trips with friends and just enjoy myself... i don't want to race but i do like speed. ;)

i guess both models are reliable and good sleds? it just depends on what i want to do?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you do your own work on your car, you'll probably do most of your own work on your sled. You'll find everthing pretty straight forward. I'd suggest you go used because I'm cheap by nature, and income level. Don't like the idea of taking the big hit because I bought it new. I'd suggest a late 500 XC, specifically one of the Edge models. They are plenty quick on the trails. You should be able to find something pretty reasonably, and it should buy you one of the nicest sleds ever built to learn how to ride on. Plenty of time for the bigger iron later. I would consider only something liquid cooled.

AL

·
Registered
343 Posts
If I was you , I would buy the 700 because when I started to sled back in 1988 I bought a 90 ext brand new in 89 and it was the choice between that and a 650 wild cat , I took the 530 ext and was shortley looking for more power ! I started to have thoughts to why I settle for the smaller 530 when I could of had the 650 wild cat . The next year I traded it in for a 650 rxl [ what a mistake] and lost lots of money in the process . You get the picture though ahh . hope this helps your decision!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Satai I got an 97 indy 500 for sale with reverse and I am pretty close to you , so far the other buyer has not bought it yet if interested email me :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would recommend a used 500 or 600 xc. It will be plenty of sled for you at a reasonable price. After riding for a year or two you will have a better idea of what you would be happiest with. You will enjoy the 500 or 600 in the meantime. good luck and have fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depending on where you are located - there are left over 2002 550's at Leader Marine on the West side of Michigan -
Stick with Polaris - i have a broad range from a 440 to a 650 - they all are fine! :sly:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts