Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was unhooking the jug that was used to spray the hyfax with antifreeze, I found this relay and resistor or heat sink. The wires on the relay went to the solenoid valve on the jug for antifreeze. 1 wire goes to a red wire on the sled, the other goes to a fused wire to 1 side of the relay. But no wires on the relay go to anything else.

Can I remove this, or does the sled use this for something? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
they probley used windshield washer fluid instead of anti freeze..
anyway, a relay, is basicaly just a switch..(relay)
that being said..I dont belive you need that for any reason if your removing the device its being used on.., its certainly not stock on any vmax4 that I have ever heard of, so I`d either just remove it, and tape off the wire leads, or trace them back to their source, and remove the wires all together..

that "heat sink" may be a type of zenor diode, or rec, to supply the proper power for the unit..

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Spraying the hyfax with antifreeze? Or anything? Wow, I thought we had it bad for snow, I can't believe you'd have to try and lubricate your hyfax with anything other then snow.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That heat sink looking thing might be for your charging system. Is it electric start? My 1990 Phazer had one on it...although I forget what it is called, it looked exactly like that...

Where do the wires go?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Spraying the hyfax with antifreeze? Or anything? Wow, I thought we had it bad for snow, I can't believe you'd have to try and lubricate your hyfax with anything other then snow.[/b]
They use setups like that for grass dragging..........when there is no snow for lubrication.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
That heat sink looking thing might be for your charging system. Is it electric start? My 1990 Phazer had one on it...although I forget what it is called, it looked exactly like that...

Where do the wires go?[/b]
That thing is probably a rectifier, the solenoid is DC and the machine puts out AC so the retifier converts AC to DC. They only put them on machines with electric start to charge the battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That thing is probably a rectifier, the solenoid is DC and the machine puts out AC so the retifier converts AC to DC. They only put them on machines with electric start to charge the battery.[/b]
I think they are probably on all machines. You need DC for your lights and grip heaters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
negative..the lights ect run off AC, and yeah, the bulbs are just regular DC bulbs like ya run on your car ect..

As far as a electric start, a vmax4 does`nt have one, they dont even make one for it.
that extra electrical device was added to be used for the slide lubricator.

I second catdoo`s last two post.. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
That thing is probably a rectifier, the solenoid is DC and the machine puts out AC so the retifier converts AC to DC. They only put them on machines with electric start to charge the battery.[/b]
That was the word I was looking for...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think they are probably on all machines. You need DC for your lights and grip heaters.[/b]
Lights and heaters will work on both AC and DC

·
Registered
18 Posts
The black box with cooling fins is the rectifyer....just replaced it on my enticer.

And yes it does convert the AC current from the alternator into DC for charging the battery. The rectifyer is designed to allow for current to flow through it one way....and if your fuses keep blowing it is likely the rectifyer that has blown.

Lights and hand warmers have to run off both AC and DC current because most sleds don't have rectifiers....like bravos. So hand warmers on them would have to run of the AC power that powers the light but on a sled with electric start they can be connected to the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts