Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 zr800 cc and when it idles it sounds like a metal clank once in a while,what could be the problem or is that normal?it idles very nice to be prob?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Are you sure its not the clutch engageing. Mine does that once in a while. It will be sitting idle and then the clutch wants to grap for a second. The weights must get thrown for a split second or something. I've seen others do this too. My friends Polaris 800 does it also. Pop the hood and look at the clutch while its running. You'll see what I mean. If its not that, I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Zrfam, anyway to tell if the recoil is going bad? I only have 500 miles on mine and would hate to be in the UP and it go out???

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Easy to check, take the recoil off and check that the center bolt has not come loose.
Its somewhat common at idle to hear a sound very similar to a slight clutch rattle from the 800's. I have no idea what causes it but have seen others (on other forums) talking of hearing the same thing. Mine does it from time to time since new.
:)
Sled..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Nov 4 2002, 05:27 PM
Easy to check, take the recoil off and check that the center bolt has not come loose.
Its somewhat common at idle to hear a sound very similar to a slight clutch rattle from the 800's. I have no idea what causes it but have seen others (on other forums) talking of hearing the same thing. Mine does it from time to time since new.
Sled..
Hey Sledhead,
What do you mean by "Similar to clutch sound"? Are you saying there are times when its not the clutch. Curious to know. Everytime I looked it was the clutch wanting to engage.

The recoil thing is going to get checked tomorrow night. So is that all there is to it. Just check to see if its tight and if its loose just tighten it back up or is there more to it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I want to know if there is something more also! I agree with tighten it but will I have to do that all the time??? That would suck

·
Registered
4 Posts
talk to your dealer. i believe there's an update for the recoil problem.. not sure though. also locktight your recoil housing bolts...

bug

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a ZR800 and like ZR Sled Head said about the clutch rattle, mine does the same thing at idle. :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Use loc-tite on the center bolt inside the recoil only, no need for it on the mounting bolts. Dealers will only intall the updated recoil if yours has actually broken or fallen appart, but will loc-tite the center bolt as part of a bulletin. No biggy to do yourself, don't forget to resecure the ground wire on the lower bolt, its easy to forget. Its also much easier to get at the recoil bolts if you pull the springs off both ends of the pipe and gently swing it out of the way.
Sled..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my recoil replaced ,no reloc-tite, this is a replace fix if your vin. number is effected,call your dealer, don't run it tell you check. good luck

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Mine has eaten the stock one, one stock replacement, and one of the updated ones. Not bad as out of the three it only ate the stator once.
Way more prone to breaking in the super cold weather.
Thank goodness for warranty!
Rick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
zr sled head,

damn... your probs give me doubts about buying a used 800cce, what to do... what to do.. what to buy??

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here's a problem thatnobody's mentioned yet.Could be a piston.My brother has an 02 800 had the same kind of rattling,thought it was the clutch.He took it in to the dealer for something and the mechaanic heard and pulled the head,One piston was smaller then the other.Take the sled in if you can't pinpoint the problem.Goodluck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by ZR800@Nov 6 2002, 11:40 AM
Here's a problem thatnobody's mentioned yet.Could be a piston.My brother has an 02 800 had the same kind of rattling,thought it was the clutch.He took it in to the dealer for something and the mechaanic heard and pulled the head,One piston was smaller then the other.Take the sled in if you can't pinpoint the problem.Goodluck. :thumbsup:
You have got to be kidding! That would stink. And to think, the 01's are getting an 02 piston kit update. hehe! Just kidding. Gonna have to look into that one.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hey SledHead, (Rick)
I checked my recoil last night. Looked great. I was gonna take it off and Loctite it but since it was way tight etc. I figured, why mess with it.
One thing I did notice though and wondered if this was normal blow by or seepage. (sp) There was a little bid of oil (sludge) in the bottom of the recoil area. Now this would have to come from the crank seal. Do you think its just a little bit of blow by or something. Did yours have any in there?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I noticed that also when I was cleaning the inside, I just figured it was blow-by, but would also be interested to find out if it is something more??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts