Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm going out to the big horns in a few days and i called the dealer to see what i had to do to my sled, i've got a 02 summit 600 and i turned the calibration screws to 5 b/c i'll be riding in between 8 to 10k feet there. Do i have to change weights? and if i do. How do i do that? he also said something about a set screw, please help if you can. THanks.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
As long as the engines ok dont worry about the clutch.  If thats what you ment.  Unless this is where you ride all the time then you might as well get it right.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Might get better info here....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mach Z i've never road here b4 this sled has 400 miles on it is all. I changed the calibration screws that's all. Do i really have to take out them set screws or can i just leave it the way it is for riding around here?i live in southwest minnesota

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I thought the summits had some kind of compensatory electrics that did all the adjusting for you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah.  I thought they did too!  

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
What about HAC?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Powder Bound, you will have to remove any set screws from your weight pins inside the primary clutch. you want the weight pins to weigh 10.3g. Set the clickers to run at 8000rpm when you get there. Also, you may have to set idle higher when you get there (even with DPM). Everything else should be good to go unless you want to fine tune things out there. Hope this is the straight info you want.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
HAC is what they had before DPM.  DPM takes HAC to the next level.

Yes you will probably have to turn up the idle but thats as far as i would go.  I wouldnt mess with the clutch just for one weekend. I keep my stuff set for where i ride and thats it.  

You probably dont need to do it anyway.  So maybe its out by a bit.  Big deal unless your racing to the top i wouldnt worry about it.  Just make sure your not over revving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's what the dealer told me, but how do i get at these screws? and then what do i do?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok can somebody just tell me what to do, Should i take the screws out or should i not mess with them.
? I need an answer to go with that is safe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you leave the set screws in you will under rev. In deep powder at 8-10,000 you will need to remove the set screws to be able to pull the RPM (High Altitude Calibration) It's simple to do and should only take you 20 minutes max. Pull the primary clutch bolt out, slide the govener cup out, remove set screws, reinstall govener cup, reinstall bolt and torque. I ride at 10,000 + feet and I would recommend removing the set screws!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey PowderBound, I would definitely remove the set screws from the pins. I don't think you will be able to get your rpm's where you need them by adjusting the clickers. At that altitude you will lose so much horsepower your 600 probably won't be able to pull a heavier pin. The 800's even need less weight in the pins unless you change alot of other things. All you have to do is remove the primary clutch, slide out the governor cup and remove the set screws from the three pins that have the rollers in them. Hope this helps, have fun at some altitude.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Powder Bound, if you did not get my direct message, here's the info. 1. Leaving the set screws in at 8-10,000' will most
likely cause an under-rev condition you can't adjust out with the clickers. Not fun for riding in deep snow. 2. You will need to remove the primary clutch and remove the governor cup from the primary. Special tools needed are a clutch puller and a set of forks to hold the sliding buttons to the governor cup. With the governor cup (part with the clickers in it) removed, using the correct size allen wrench, you should be able to remove the set screws inside the pins on each of the 3 lever arms.(The pins are fastened to the levers with cotter keys and hold the roller to the lever arm. The pins are threaded lengthwise and the set screws are inside.) 3. If you have access to the tools, this job sounds worse than it really is. Torque on the center bolt when you install it is 78 ft. lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts