Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled is 75 Merc SnoTwister with an Arctic hex primary and Salsbury secondary.
I tapped out the hex bushing in the center of the movable sheve, and tapped in
a new one. New bushing is bowed in at one of the pins, and has a small piece of aluminum missing alongside of one of the pins due to the hammering. The screws that wedge the bushing in are
basically not replaceable. Can I take some material off the bushing by the screws so that it
doesn't bow the bushing in, and use it, or do I need to do what the manual says and replace the
whole sheve and have the clutch rebalanced?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm no expert on the hex clutches, but when I rebuilt mine the slots in the bushing didn't line up with the set screws in the sheave. I drilled and filed the bushing to fit right, and put some locktight on the set screws. Everything has held up for a couple of years so far. In my case it seemed like the bushing wasn't in spec.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no expert on the hex clutches, but when I rebuilt mine the slots in the bushing didn't line up with the set screws in the sheave. I drilled and filed the bushing to fit right, and put some locktight on the set screws. Everything has held up for a couple of years so far. In my case it seemed like the bushing wasn't in spec.[/b]
Just got back in from the garage after doing basically what you said (before I read your post)
Instead of drilling and filing the bushing, I just tapped it in and out a few times and let the set
screws do their job on the bushing. Then I used some red locktite on the screws and the whole
bushing and tapped it back in. Sheve moves freely on the axle. Don't think I'll be replacing it
again, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts