Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just switched from ZRT800 to new '01 ZR800...Has anyone had any problems with the ZR800's??  I like the sled so far, much nicer on the trails, just getting used to losing that brutal power of the triple.  Any comments or words of warning would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have heard something about up dated pistons.My freind broke a piston skirt in his and it took out the jug and lower case half.It could be that he was trying to spin it over 8000 rpm but I don't know.I know that cat doesn't recomend head changes on this model as it already is very close to detination problems.This sled likes to be pulled hard so add some clutch weight and a steeper helix keep the engagment rpm down close to stock to keep track spin off the line down to a min.have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Jim arctic cat has some MAJOR problems with it. Some thing like unbelievable power, incredable handling, rocket like acceloration, and uncontrollable lust for it by other brand riders.  :D  Really i haven't heard of any problems with it thou.
So enioy it and drive safe

This post was done in fun not to start any wars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't experienced any problems.I can beat on my machine like a pack mule and it just sucks up anything I can throw at it.I haven't even fouled a set of plugs in warmer temps.Cat got it right the first time!!!!!Enjoy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
no problems on my 02' 800. got almost 600 mi on and no major problems. just make sure you keep an eye on those rear suspension bolts. the four that bolt to the tunnel like to loosen up. --goose--

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I love mine so far. I have about 400 miles on it. No problems yet. KNOCK ON WOOD! I have heard from a couple of people to keep an eye on the hose from down at the front of the engine coming out at the bottom near the water pump or whatever it is. It has a small hose clamp on it. The stainles steel type with the threads. They say they are known for coming off. I was looking at my brother in laws 01 and his has the plastic type crimp clamp on it. I checked mine and it seemed ok.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I feel you will love the new 800 zr twins.  They are light (in comparison to the tripples) and I don't see the tripples being any faster til top end.  I got a used 2001 at the end of last year and I have 800 miles on it so far this season.  Ride, handling, and performance are great!  You will not be dissapointed in performance when setup right..guaranteed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
500 miles on my 02.  Only problems were the shocks were upside down on the sled and the springs were upside down on the shock.  The rear suspension bolts did not have locktite so the loosened often.  These problems are fixed.  Milled the heads slightly, put a 62/52 helix, v-force, gutted the airbox and added power breather, jetted up a few sizes and advanced the timing.  192 picks and 8 in carbide.  Love the sled and it is fast.  Great trail setup this way.  Also the R/T cansiter sheds 10 lbs and the sled is not louder by much at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is a free piston update available for :blahblah: the 01 ZR 800. Make sure yours has had this done.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got mine to the shop today for the piston update.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
i have 1200 miles on my 02 800 so far this yr. i just bought it in the summer and so far i love it. yeh i probably wont have the top end that you trip 800 had but who cares. they handle so sweet, and u they will eat up every bump u throw at them. i have the only one in a group of guys who ride other makes and so far, everyguy that has drove it, loved it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:D I had a serious problem with my 02 800 CCE EFI last year. I seemed to keep getting 800 XC's sucked up in my air box. The only remedy for this I found which seems to work is to ride 1/4 mile away from them while excelerating so it seems to close to call. :blahblah: ZR 800 rocks.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i love mine, had the recoil replaced , and have the shock kit ordered, have about 250 miles on it know, love it , great fast, but i do miss the triple.!!!!! however the twin i s a great sled.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boy, it sure doesn't seem like a year since I posted this question. I have to say that I love the sled. With a little more than 1400 miles so far, I have had no problems with the sled whatsoever. It was a solid sled out of the box, but I just couldn't resist adding pipes, reeds, and a few other items, and they all work very well together. I guess I added these items in hopes of compensating for going from a triple to a twin, but I can't remember life on my ZRT ever being as good as it is on the ZR.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Originally posted by JIM FRITCH@Jan 29 2003, 10:32 AM
but I can't remember life on my ZRT ever being as good as it is on the ZR.
Jim, you will when one of those old timer ZRT's comes up and spanks ya. lol :D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by ARCTICZRT600+Jan 29 2003, 09:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ARCTICZRT600 @ Jan 29 2003, 09:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JIM FRITCH@Jan 29 2003, 10:32 AM
but I can't remember life on my ZRT ever being as good as it is on the ZR.
Jim, you will when one of those old timer ZRT's comes up and spanks ya. lol :D [/b][/quote]
Rob, you....I mean, HE better be carrying a heck of a punch! LOL :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts