Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 Polaris 244 twin out of a gemini chassis im putting into a later chassis for my kid to learn on.. the sled it came out of had only 1000 mi on it and seemed to run well when it was put into storage a few years ago ..( I cleaned the carbs and drained the tank and fogged the engine before putting it away)
When I got it back out of storage I noted the roof had leaked for what must have been some time onto the pullstart side of the case and created some corrosion on the side of the engine , now im thinking the points have corroded as one side has spark and the other (pullstart side) does not compression is good , 130/130 and the spark on the good side is blue/white , I tested the coils and they ohm out Ok, a friend at the local dealer said the points are probably the problem ...
my question is where are the points and how do I get to them on this engine ,
I assume they are behind the flywheel on the front of the engine , but do I need any special tools to get to them ?
and should I just replace the points or clean the contacts up ...
thanks for any info..

·
Registered
86 Posts
need a flywheel puller. i use a harley one and it works on most, but you can ussualy rent one from a dealer. make sure after cleaning, that you set them correctly. i ussuly use a matchbook cover and it seems to e good for all engines(about .020) give it a shot and keep me updated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats about what I thought it would take to get at them
I probably have a puller that will work I'll have to get to it tomorrow and see what I find once I get into the case ...
it still turns over fine and will even run on a seperate tank and a shot of fuel but just the one cylinder...
I thought about storing it out of the sled but was too lazy to pull it last fall...
Thanks for the info and I will let you know how it works !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts