Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am going to build the mxz 800 triple/triple, I think I want the Crank Shop custom pipes for it, because I hear they spin slower than JAWS but still make almost the same HP. (I want this sled for trails more than racing  
)
      Since Crank Shop has no website, would someone in the area mind giving them a call and finding out what their triple pipes for the S-Chassis go for and the HP numbers? Any other info would be appreciated also. (
just trying to budget the project now while there are still guys around the board
)
  Thanks alot. Trying to save on long distance charges. Drop a message here or shoot me an email.

One more thing....is the Crank Shop a Canadian company?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Go with the jaws (cnd) and they make pipe's to fit s- tripple conversion. I'm thinging of dooing the same thing, I have a line on a 800 tripple that need's a crank and one cly repaired.

·
Registered
233 Posts
THE CRANK SHOP IS IN ESSEX JUNCTION VERMONT. TELEPHONE 802-878-3615

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have had many experiences with both companies, use the jaws not the crank shop pipes on this motor with this combo. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Crank shop also made pipes for this conversion. The thing I don't like about the JAWS pipes is how fast they have to spin...I was looking at a set up that would spin somewhere around 8300 or so. The jaws pipes have peak HP at like 9000..to high for what I want to use the sled for.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rocketman; have you considered using a three into one exhaust? Would be easier to fit and tune, and a lot cheaper. Crank Shops would be at least 1200 Can. plus shipping and Jaws wouldn't be far off.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm..3 into one....how much power do I lose with a single pipe? Never thought of that...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you getting rid of the 670 motor? If so I am very interested in picking it up this summer. I have relatives in Sask. that could come and get it. Let me know.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll keep that in mind AKSUMMITX....send me an email so I can have a permanent reminder

·
Registered
172 Posts
does anyone know if crankshop makes a set of pipes for a 600 triple in a Zx chassis?

·
Registered
172 Posts
one more thing.  Sno-West is the canadian crankshop rep. and they are located in edmonton.   if you want i can get his number for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rocketman,
   Don't know if this is important to you or not but I think it is wise to go with pipes that spin lower. Clutching efficiency drops sharply beyond 8500. The more you rev over 8500 the less power your getting to the ground (which we know is very important) Even if the crank shop pipes aren't putting as much power out the actuall difference on the machine may not be much because you will be able to put more power to the ground with the lower revs. How much power is lost as you go over 8500 I am not sure but I have heard it referred to as a "steep drop in efficiency". Keep it under 8500. Sure it my be wise to rev high in some cases when the gain in HP is much greater than the loss due to inefficiency of the clutching, but on a trail sled this is unlikely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rocketman: If I were you I would go with Split Second pipes, the guy who builds them is a Rotax guru and their made in Alberta and they make more power than the Jaws.  E-mail me for more info.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SRX...if you look up a few posts from yours, you said exactly what I said. I don't want or need the engine spinning that fast...especially seeing Limskii's horror picture show. I like Krusty's single pipe idea...just curious as to how much HP I will have over the stock pipes with an aftermarket single. But I bet the low end torque would be incredible!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rocketman.  Going into single pipe will give you more torque and fuel eco in a big way.  But make no mistake you will not have the top end that you would if you had a triple.  

But single pipes are easier to tune and will give you a better trail sled.  Mostly because they maintain a hotter temp and the temp is more even.  

But i would still look at the triple pipes because the RAVE valves help out with the torque and the triple pipes look awsome.  

Spinning the engine at 8500 is where you want it to be.  Going to 9000 is not that big a deal and if the pipes you buy say to run at 9000 then that is where the engine will make the peak hp.  

But go with the ones that allow the engine to make the most power at stock Mach Z rpm which is about 8400.  

Good luck with the conversion.  Do you have the engine yet? What engine?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah...stock rpm would be perfect. No engine yet Machzzzz1...looking for a 97

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Rocketman you don't have to spin the jaws to 9000 , I thing 8700-8800rpm,  Jaws make's  a higher volume pipe that work's at a lower rpm, I will find out the fact's on the rpm and let you know.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mr670. I appreciate it....the email Jaws sent me didn't really give me any info that I couldn't read off of their website...guess I didn't knwo what ot ask.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Cool!  Thanks for getting this info for me Rocketman...LOL!
I am actually thinking about it!

Screamer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts