Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I was thinking of getting a GPS for trail riding, does anyone use one, if so what kind and is it worth getting?

Thanks in advance

Bill

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have one and i like it alot. I download all the off road trails recorded by my GPS on a nifty topo map program (softmap) so I know where I've been and I can upload tracks in it also. I have the basic garmin etrex (the yellow one) and I find it great for everything, the other ones have to many gadgets on em IMO but the ones with built-in maps can be usefull but they are expensive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought the Magellan Map 330X from Sam's Club for $200 for the total package. They have really come down in the last year. Don't bother unless you get a mapping unit with the software and connector cable. This came as one package with mine. I also bought the Magallan mount so I can have in right up front where I can see. What good is it in your coat pocket?

Likewise I use it in the car and boat. I have not used it on the sled yet, but the MapSend Streets U.S. that came with it has all of the roads down to the two tracks that many trials are on. Mine can hold 8megabytes at a time which is about 1/3rd of the state.

I'm optomistic about it's usefulness. Oatie

·
Registered
316 Posts
going to use one this year. i think it will come in handy when checking out new trails. also i can edit my maps a little better by marking there positions on the map so i know exactly where i am . and how far that gas station really is!!!!!!!!!! or bar ooppps did i just say that? if you are thinking about getting one check out ebay some really good deals. :thumbsup: SWRules

·
Registered
269 Posts
Garmin GPSMAP 176...$439...large screen is nice

G

·
0 Posts
:thumbsup: I have a GARMIN eMap and love it. Been using it for three years catting and would not leave home with out it.. I use Road and Recreation and Topogrophy info. If you are looking for a good one I would check eBay before or after looking at your local dealers...Use one and your hooked...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been looking at the Magellan Sportrak Pro, its only $236 and they have a $50 rebate if you buy the map cd, which you'd need anyways.

I can't say if its the best one out there but I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems to be the best choice. It can hold 32mb of memory.

You can also get handlebar mounts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the Etrex Legend... pretty much the same stuff everyone elses does with some bonuses... I think the Vista may be the top of the line model. Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with most of the GPS units and I would say for a beginner you can't go wrong with the Etrex series. Very easy to you, good size, good battery use, quick lock in times... I think you can go anywhere from 119 to 350 depending on the model, rough guess. I got mine at REI but really lucked in on the deal. I would say check there or Ebay, I'm thinking Ebay you would get a better detail but if you like new stuff check the stores.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I use a magellan that does not have the mapping capability, Doo a lot of riding on a very big lake. It's nice to know that you will beable to find your way home in a white out, or find the trail heads at night. Next gps will be a mapper. Does the Etrax have a top speed recall?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts