Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a set of apv shims that will fit 02 zr 500 motor. I dont think the 800 or 900 shims will work I think the valves a different.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Need a set of apv shims that will fit 02 zr 500 motor. I dont think the 800 or 900 shims will work I think the valves a different.[/b]
Although the systems appear similar I understand that the problem with the 500 engines is the APV's pins wear thin due to harmonic vibration. Regular pin replacement (#10) is essential. Eventually the valve itself can also wear where the pin passes through it.
[attachment=35225:500_APV.gif]

That said, if you're up to making your own shims simply use part #16 as your template and cut some from some aluminum sheet. I found .020" sheet at my local CTC store and used an awl to trace the template, then aviation snips, a 1/2 drill and a carbide cutter on my Dremal to prefect the larger holes. Total time invested in finding the material, manf. two shims and installing both less than 3 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info muskoka. Every other year I replace pins on ehhaust valves going to make a set of shims just to play it safe. Sometimes when engine is at idle I here a ticking noise when I cleaned valves did not see no scuff on pistons. I do not know what else to check for that could making this noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts