Snowmobile World banner

Have your drive shaft bearings failed on your Cat? Also, please comment after voting about year/mod

• Failed bearing on right side (chaincase side).

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:
We have been having a little discussion about whether or not a recent driveshaft bearing failure is a "Cat" weakness. At first I didnt think so but another writer chimed in with the comment that he has seen it on many Cats and thinks it maybe to small of a bearing for the application. Sooooo, I thought another poll might help.
Thanks for your participation!
Woodsy SWRules

·
Registered
533 Posts
The bearing on the speedo side fail on my last season. I was going like 90mph, I'm surprise I didn't get injured. 4000 miles. Wreaked the chain and lower gear in the process. 4200 miles. 2001 ZR6

Couple weeks ago, my buddy blew his speedo side bearing, damaged the upper gear. He replaced all the bearing in the drive system. Just finished fixing it tonight. 98 600, 4500 miles.

I figure those bearings are good for 4000 miles. Lesson learned. Changed these bearings at 4000 miles.

newf

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
1998 ZR 600 Had the left one go around 3000 miles, then an engine at 3500 and 3800, track, clutch, and headlight...
Though its never been a problem on any other of our many cat sleds.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I found mine during preseason check. they weren't totally gone yet but they needed replacing the sled only had 600 miles on it :huh: After I had them replaced it was fine till I killed her. She had around 2500 on her then :(
G :dazed: :crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
01 MC 800 ,left bearing failed 350 miles or so,ate up the chain case pretty good.
while it was in the shop getting fixed I noticed an identical sled to mine with about a thousand miles on it getting the same repair.more than just a freak accident now
while my bearing was too torn up to too see original shape.the other sleds wasn't,
It looked like a decent size sealed bearing for the application but very rusty.this guy
heard it squealing and brought it in.the mechanic pointed out holes in the side covers of the bearing.AC intended these holes to facilitate grease flow and give us longer lasting bearings but water and non waterproof grease don't mix very well.
this bearing failure is eminent you can prolong it by greasing after every ride with waterproof grease. You can get the grease at most auto supply stores,they make it for boat trailer wheels.personally I would not wait for the failure,it can be
dangerous and expensive when it goes .The replacement from ac is a regular
sealed bearing.Go figure! Arctic Cat probably wouldn't like this info to get out
so here it is.. on the web Im not trying to start a vicious rumor, just telling you
what I paid 900 dollars to learn.

How about a recall AC? Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, please keep them coming!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Has happened on several of my sleds over the years but no damage, I can usually hear it first. 88 Wildcat 650, 92 Wildcat 700, 97 EXT 580, Also the left side Jackshaft bearing on the Wildcat's. I agree you should change them every 4000-5000 miles. I consider it just maintenance, not a weakness. I am in the process of changing them on my 2000 T-Cat tomorrow. I have 5000 miles on the T-Cat :D :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
02 ZR800 CC. 3600 miles, no problems. Just went through and checked all and still seem great.

Update 5300 miles, no issues.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
MY LAST SLED...........'02 ZR-800 cce, 9300 miles with ZERO driveshaft bearing issues. However I do grease the LH bearing after every weekends riding and change the chain case oil every second weekend. A little maint goes a long way and costs almost nothing.

Rick.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never had any failures, but I have changed bearings before as a preventative measure. I changed all the bearings on my Wildcat around 4000 miles. My ZL has 1700 miles with no issues. Last week, my buddy and I took his sled apart and checked all the bearings on his 2000 ZL 600 and they all seemed ok. His sled has 3900 miles on it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I never have, but my buddies speedo side did. Few years ago. After that, I make sure it's greassed good, and change it every few years. Cheap insurance. 20-30 bucks in bearings. Worth it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You guys have me spooked, I just picked up a set to do mine, 4500 miles with no problems so far. Question, should I pop out the seal on the clutch side bearings or leave them alone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
'97 ZRT800..bearing on PTO side went after about 7000 miles. Also took out the driveshaft. I replaced them both, along with the other bearing and the speedo drive end. Its very important to correctly install the bearing retaining ring when doing this repair! This ring locks the inner race to the shaft, preventing the race from turning independantly from the shaft, causing rapid failure of both bearing and shaft.'

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just finished changing the clutch side on a 2000 Tripple touring 600.10000 miles. It is not mine , just helping out a friend BUT When it went it broke all sorts of stuff in the chainbox ... reverse gears , spring retaining plate, pins ,springs,etc. not good.

C

·
0 Posts
At 1500 miles mine went out on the LHS (01ZR5). Should have suspected something was up because my speedo stopped working. Left it with a dealer in NW WI where I was riding. Hoping the gears/chain are OK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the speedo quitting is a very good indicator of the bearing failure. Those drive pins can only last so long spinning way off center. 2 seperate times the speedo quit and bingo, immediately find a bearing failure.
NEVER OVERLOOK A BROKEN SPEEDO!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
98zr600 speedometer side bearing went at approx 3200 miles. Heard a rubbing sound and noticed the speedometer had quit working. I was going slow but it did manage to mess of a new set of slides. I replaced both lower bearings while i was at it and purchased a set of new NTN bearings for my wifes sled and will replace these when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Happened to me on my old '97 ZRT600. Never caused any other damage, I knew the tell-tale 'speedo went dead' sign. It had about 2000 miles on it at the time.

Nice performing sled, but man did I ever have to do a lot of wrenching to keep that thing on the trail... must have been a lemon.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts