Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 ZRT 600.  The primary clutch expoded destroying the hood, bellypan, crankshaft, secondary, jackshaft and other misc. parts.  I inspected another 1996 ZRT 600 and found significant cracks on the primary cover around the center bearing.  A/C redesigned the cover and added 1/2 lb. of material to the cover, increased rib and fillet sizes and superceded all old parts with the new design.  A/C would not cover the damage.  Everyone with a '96 to '99 A/C with the A/C/Comet 108C should inspect the cover for cracks.  If the clutch fails it will do similar damage to the vehicle and has the great potential to inflict bodily harm.

Karl Holt
Mechanical Engineer

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Had that happen to me 3 years ago, but all it took out was the clutch shield.  Thank God.  Took it to a dealer in Gaylord,MI and it was covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dangerous and expensive for sure, but if you have a 108C on a ZRT, then blame the guy who put it on because that is the wrong clutch for that sled. The ZRTs came with the new Cat 9 tower in `96. The following year, all Cats came with the new clutch, and thankfully said goodbye to the 108. Clutches on any high horsepower sled should be taken off and inspected at least once a year, or 1000 miles. If you ignore your clutches, you`re asking for trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts