Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum there is a posting on F-7's with bad pistons. The guy claimed he new of 4 that melted down. Another guy posted that he saw 3 at his dealer getting new pistons. Anybody here know of anything?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I heard the same thing about motor meltdown and also my buddy broke his reciol after only about 20 miles, anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The motor problems are because of an air bubble in the cooling system. If you have one, just rock it from side to side and front to back. Then recheck your coolant level. Some (very few) are having this problem. A good dealer will fix this right away but recommend double checking it yourself. There is a service bulletin out for the cooling system bleeding. I believe it covers this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes that would suck if that happened, but its a first year sled, stuff like that is going to happen. the REV is the same way. As will the RX1 be too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've heard of 4 now in 1 week (the last one was today), all within the first 150 miles. I was told that a dealer up north thinks it may have to do with the fuel pump cutting on and off at high throttle openings, causing a lean condition. This is just something that this dealer is speculating. If the F7's keep burning down, Arctic Cat better come up with a fix real soon, as there'll be alot of angry customers and very expensive waranty engine rebuilds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
One thing that needs to be said is that with forums such as these, 2 things happen. #1)Rumors spread fast!! #2) You see more of the problems then what you would have seen before these style forums. 4 sleds broke is nothing. Is there a problem with the cooling? YES! Is there a problem with the oil lines? YES! Are they warranting a major recall? At this time NO. YOu have to remember that several thousands of these sleds were sold. Now we are hearing of 5 sleds so far that have had a problem. I think the #s are actually pretty good. I never seen a recall on my 2000 ZL 580. That sled siezed 3 times, plus I heard of several others with the same problem. Just becaue 1% are having a problem doesn't mean they are all going to. Mighty RX-1 came on to this board and posted this as a bash (wehter he admits it or not. THen when someone does the same about his presious RX he got defensive. LEAVE IT AT AMSNOT MIGHTY. Before you post something such as this, do some simple research. Then post FACTS saying what is actually happening. Not just what you heard happened.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:p Wouldn't it be refreshing if one of the sled mfg's would come out with a new sled and actually test it before selling it to the public!
I have ridden more years than I care to mention and each year it's the same story; a new model that falls apart when the consumer starts to use it the way the it should be used.
I hear a lot of people defend the mfg's but come on guys ;they have put the shaft to the consumer for so many years we have gotten used to it.
They actually ask us to purchase an $8000 sled and never get to test ride it, then when it starts to fall apart they do not have a mechanic that has been trained to fix them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Arctic engineers tested F-7 for 5-7000 miles and that is it. As printed in a sled magazine. In the ask the engineers segment. If that is all the better they document a sled (as roughly 5 to seven thousand miles.) :doh: :doh: I as a consumer am saying no way to that model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
never ever buy a new model first year out. there hasn't been a new model yet that hasn't had problems. with the exception of a very few. The next years model has a lot of the bugs worked out. usually you get a new motor in a proven chassis. but this is new everything. It will be hard for me to believe that this sled
that is stripped of everything that they can strip will hold up. Light is nice but when something breaks and it is incorporated into the chassis I don't want to buy a new sled... just my opinion :cussing:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did not post what I've seen and heard, to bash the F7. I just figure that people ordering or riding these machines should know that some problems have happened with their model and that way they could call their dealers to find out if something is wrong or should be looked at in case there are defects or recalls. Some dealers seem to be too busy to call their customers if something should be looked into (such as this airlock in the cooling system and air in the oil line), and hope everything is fine with the machines they sold. When I bought my Mach 1 in 1997, I wasn't happy to find out that they had crank lubrication problems, but was happy friends told me to check into it, as my dealer never informed me. Unfortunately, the dealers only repaired them once crank bearings let go, which mine did, that season. I try to post to be informative (although I like to tease a little when answering to some buddies').

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by wrencher@Nov 24 2002, 10:27 AM
never ever buy a new model first year out. there hasn't been a new model yet that hasn't had problems. with the exception of a very few. The next years model has a lot of the bugs worked out. usually you get a new motor in a proven chassis. but this is new everything. It will be hard for me to believe that this sled
that is stripped of everything that they can strip will hold up. Light is nice but when something breaks and it is incorporated into the chassis I don't want to buy a new sled... just my opinion :cussing:
Well someone has got to buy it!!!! If no one bought it, no one would buy it next year because Arctic Cat wouldnt no what was wrong w/ the F7 so problems would still be around on it. If you buy a first year sled, make sure you have a backup sled that you can ride, because its almost a guarantee that it will be in the shop for some kind of warranty work. Its just the way #### works. First year sleds need to have the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Originally posted by Sharkey@Nov 24 2002, 01:35 PM
Arctic engineers tested F-7 for 5-7000 miles and that is it. As printed in a sled magazine. In the ask the engineers segment. If that is all the better they document a sled (as roughly 5 to seven thousand miles.)  :doh:  :doh:  I as a consumer am saying no way to that model.
Who cares if they were evasive with the test mileage..........I watched Tucker Hibbert beat the snot out of that sled and if it held up for him than it will hold up for us being that he is a better rider than all of us in the forum.........as for testing you should be aware that they were trying some F series mods and Ideas on tuckers open class sleds. I dont know if you were also aware that Kirk Hibbert himself was the driving force behind the F series and he worked on it for several years before Cat realized the potential and put it to work during regular business hours. With all that being said how do you put a mileage number on all the hours and back yard testing on individual concepts that went into the FireCats?? Well as for the guys who like to ride on others coat tails and buy a sled after the bugs are worked out, thats your choice but thank god for people like me who make the world go around and put those miles on a rank new sled so you can buy one in a year or two and have and play it safe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really do appreciate anyone that wants to purchase a first year sled and test it for the consumer; really! I for one would rather ride the powder on a year old sled and not have to work on them or wait on the "Dealers" to figure out how to get them to work.
Some guys just have to have the first one out, and enjoy the ohh and aww's when another rider is admiring the new sled. I would rather just ride them..

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by M10rules@Nov 23 2002, 11:23 PM
The motor problems are because of an air bubble in the cooling system. If you have one, just rock it from side to side and front to back. Then recheck your coolant level.
That is the same thing I have heard from a few people as well. D&D also has that posted on their site. Just rock it back and forth, front to back, top off coolant, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the 5-7 thousand miles of testing was on "one" F7. Greg Spaulding has been quoted as saying they were testing many f-7"s with well over 100 thousand total miles on them with very few problems:

GLS-questions on Firecat prototype testing and reliability

gls on 10/19/2002 7:08:00 AM
snowrider1000. It's difficult to give you an exact number, because so many were run, but over 20 sleds in differdnt groups and conditions just last year, probably averaged between 4000-5000mi. each. Reliability was very good. Were working on the rope thing. That issue slipped by us. I'm sorry.

·
0 Posts
went with my buddy just this morning to the cat dealer to find out why it is taking so long to get his clutch fixed (3.5 weeks so far) and the owner showed us the black F7, sharp, but in for repairs to the piston 49 miles on the sled, yes only 49, then showed us the green one ever nicer sled although it has not seen any snow yet.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
:sly: I did Work for Ski-doo R&D a year and a half ago and all I can tell you
is that they do a lots of testing on those machine before they go in production...
for the rev they where testing it with full operational prototype since 1999. So
you can figure out that they done lots and lots of miles on it. With diffrent setup
and models (rev) that I still don't see on the market yet. So it is maybe the same
thing for the other sled maker. Be sure to see a full line of diffrent rev model in the near
future all ready and tested. But i don't work for them anymore and Im a cat Lover
forever!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts