Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there that knows about this can fill in what I am leaving out... So im on biskits closet the other day, and notice that the DNR is trying to get contracts with the local clubs, so that the DNR has full ownership of the grommers. am I missing somthing or is michagan a little low on funds? well it apears that they are, and they are trying to cut in on our awesome sport. I know most of the clubs own their groomers, so what gives the state the right to take them? I have donated a hell of alot to various clubs in the u.p thats total BS if they can do that.I also read that the state is putting a cap on how much they can spend a year on grooming and groomers. well wat the hell with the caps that they have posted that will barely be enough for diesel for all year to groom the trails, let alone if one breaks down!!! I guess the DNR is having a hell of a time getting the clubs to sign the grants which isnt any suprise to me, nor are any supporting bussiness owners. lets hear what any of you all know out there???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our trails were groomed before???

The state is in shambles...Numerous programs are being cut and environmentals are the first to go...I should know I'm a state employee who is constantly wondering if my next check is going to cash...It's just nuts here....I wouldn't be supprised if for some reason all of the permit sales got taken out of thier own account and went into the general fund to pay off our debt....This state is a joke...I'd like to thank good ole Jennifer for "Blowing us all away" in five years (her famous speech).... I haven't heard much on the trails but I read the paper every day and listen to the news...I'll keep a closer eye/ear out and if I hear anything I'll update...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Just out of curiousity, who's in power there, the Democrats or the Republicans, and for how long has the current administration been in power?
I remember throughout the 90's the how tough it was here in Canada as the Federal gov cut spending in an effort to eliminate the deficit, but in the end it was worth it. Too bad the current administration is going to pizz it all away in an effort to win the next election.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I believe there is an article about this issue in the latest MSA newsletter, I will dig it up and report. I have not made a club meeting in the past few months, but I know they are still unsure if there will even be a trail down here due to DNR delayed payments.
I have to agree about MI being is shambles. I work for a public college that is heavily funded by the State. Every semester I have to wonder if my program is the one that is on the chopping block due to the millions and millions of dollars we have been shorted in State aid in the past seven years. We are seeing the possibility of entire colleges disappearing in the very near future if something doesn't change.

I know that Jennifer was given a sinking ship, but I gotta say that her leadership skills suck. And with a 15-21% governmental approval rating from Michigan's residents, I sure wouldn't be saddened if her and the entire States legislation were herded off a cliff.

I was born and raised in Michigan and I always said that I would die here. I love the state and what it has to offer. But the longer this goes on, the more and more I think I may end up HAVING to move somewhere else. Not to mention that it is embarrassing living in one of the worst governed states in the nation (and ranked #50 out of 50 for unemployment)

Up state New York sounds better everyday,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is the opening page from the snowmobile section of fishweb.com:

Contrary to popular belief the DNR does not do any grooming in the state of Michigan as TV 9&10 news falsely reported last Friday. The Grant Sponsors, local grooming clubs and volunteers, are the ones that do all the work. The DNR controls the funding and the MSA represents the grant sponsors in our never ending battle to get that money to the grooming clubs. This season it is coming down to the wire as the DNR wants to change the rules in the middle of the game so they can keep more of your snowmobile dollars. As it stands right now the Grant Sponsors have refused to sign the current agreement as written. There are many issues involved but it comes down to who gets the money. The DNR who wants to do who knows what, or the volunteers that maintain and groom the trails. There will be a final meeting this week to try and hammer out an agreement the Grant Sponsors can live with. I will be the first to let you know what happens. In the mean time support the local grooming clubs by becoming a member, donating time, or give some money. The MSA is the only group that represents our sport in Lansing and Washington.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The system is in shambles.

Just remember though, it was "Aunt Jen" who busted into the snowmobile trail permit money (the money the DNR set aside from trail passes to build up a bank roll of cash to help buy new contracts, open new trails, etc.....) and took several million dollars that snowmobiliers had put towards the maintenance and preservation of the trail systems.

This was justifiable because other areas of the gov. had not been mindful in spending THEIR money, and went over budget.

If only 15-20% approved, how in the world did she get re-elected?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The snowmobile trail fund is self funded - your $25 trail permit, registrations.
In the past when a club buys a new groomer, the club paid 40%, the other 60% from trail fund grants. It is going to change to 100% from the fund, which the clubs like. The problems is with the loans, fund raisers, the clubs got to cover their 40% of the groomer cost. If these groomers they have now are going to become state property, we want the money back that was put up to cover our loans.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If only 15-20% approved, how in the world did she get re-elected?[/b]
The 15-20% approval rating is the most current figure I saw for our fearless leaders (In the October AAUP news letter).

Oh, and she didn't get re-elected on MY vote, I voted for the shady business man.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
So the trail system is State Welfare where all michiganners pay taxes that support it???

·
Registered
258 Posts
well as far as funds yes they are limited and yes they do want clubs to find grants..its really not that hard we just got a brand new groomer for our club....except our club is the only one in michigan that the groomers arent volunteer the club leader pays them pretty well out of the money he makes and the rest for repairs comes from grants....so gaylord has 2 new groomers this year only problem is there new holland sure tracks(crappy) they are great when there running...but the damn things are always broke.....but anywho thats all i know about this really i sat in on thr first groomer metting ....and not sure if everyone knows yet but there was a $40,000 project done to gaylord trails. on old 27 before mancelona road where you used to have to cross the tracks to go to the other side of the road and then cross back over after mancelona road has been avoided you just go straight through now and about 1/32 of a mile down they put a cut off into the woods across the track to the other trail....thats about it

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hey I already said that,,,,somewheres.

·
10,054 Posts
I havent bought my trail permit yet and an ontario trail permit could look real good this year if Michigan isnt going to groom,,, if those trips get too expensive, its time to sell the sleds and buy a boat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I forgot what a groomed trail look's like.....I figured it was first come fist serve on the fresh power............and you only need a trail permit if you get cought,kinda like I'm not speeding till I'm cought.

I had this JOKE thought it just seemed fitting..............

A Japanese doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks."

A German doctor says, "That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks."

A British doctor says, "In my country medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks."

The Canadian doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way behind. We took a woman with no brains, sent her to Michigan where she became Governor, and now half the state is out looking for work."

·
10,054 Posts
But I see Daves thoughts,,,, if they are not going to groom any trails,,, why spend the $ on buying a trail permit. The understanding I had was all the money collected from trail permits was supposed to go to nothing but trails, upkeep, and such. I have heard that $$ was pulled out and went to other agencies outside of the snowmobiling industry. Now if this is true, why is the $ I am spending each year for upkeep of trails being taken out and used elsewhere??? Heck, if its used ANYWHERE but on trails, that isnt right.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
All I can say is let's not start rumors. There was no money taken from the trail account. She tried and failed. We all need to buy the trail permits and join a local club. Every little bit helps and I won't quit helping until it's over.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
All I can say is let's not start rumors. There was no money taken from the trail account. She tried and failed. We all need to buy the trail permits and join a local club. Every little bit helps and I won't quit helping until it's over.[/b]

HEAR! HEAR!
Not buying a trail permit will only be the start to the end. Support the clubs fighting for your very existance. Lord knows everyone is fighting to get rid of sleds. Stick with the people that are fighting for you. If the tree huggers get rid of your trails, riding anywhere will be outlawed next.

The fine for riding your trails without one will be greater by the time all is said and done.
You're talking $25 right? That's less than 1 tank of gas for your sled.

Jeff

·
10,054 Posts
I was not intending on starting any rumors,,, I had read that in a post in here a while back. I didnt know if it was true and only stated that if it was, it wasnt right.
As for the trail permit, I have no problem supporting the trails, but in all honesty, if they are not going to be groomed this year, I will probably end up doing my riding in Ontario this year.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts