Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch fluid white and milky sled doesnt go into gear until 5000 rpm . Does this mean i have a bad seal and water is getting in ?or is it bad fluid? or something elses?

·
Registered
167 Posts
clutch fluid white and milky sled doesnt go into gear until 5000 rpm . Does this mean i have a bad seal and water is getting in ?or is it bad fluid? or something elses?
Ummmmm snowmobile clutches dont have fluid in them. If you have a white milky oil residue on your clutch you may have a bad crank seal thats spitting gas/oil mixture onto your clutch. When oil mixes with water it turns white and milky. I wouldn't run it until you find where that oil is coming from first off. A bad crank seal will make your engine blow-up as well. Also the clutch being covered in oil is going to make your belt slip, hence the reason your not moving until 5000 RPM. I would now inspect the clutch VERY closely after having said you let the belt slip to 5000 RPM..when clutch sheeves get too hot they can crack and come apart.....very very dangerous...could kill you or anyone in the near vacinity if you get hit by flying chunks of clutch.
Not trying to be rude by any means but it sounds like your knowledge of snowmobile mechanics is very minimal, it would probably be in your best interest to let a dealer or reputable mechanic take a look at it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not trying to be rude by any means but it sounds like your knowledge of snowmobile mechanics is very minimal, it would probably be in your best interest to let a dealer or reputable mechanic take a look at it.

If you go to the dealer don't tell them that there is a problem with the clutch fluid. It might cost you quite a bit.:tounge:

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
I gonna assume he means chaincase. And yes, milky white fluid means water is getting into the oil. Check cover seals and shaft seals looking for the culprit.

If the fluid is older than time itself, try changing it while inspecting for any damaged seals.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I gonna assume he means chaincase. And yes, milky white fluid means water is getting into the oil. Check cover seals and shaft seals looking for the culprit.

If the fluid is older than time itself, try changing it while inspecting for any damaged seals.
I was thinking this myself at first...BUT it was also stated that the sled will not take off until 5000RPM. Unless he is having 2 seperate issues, one being clutch stuck open and the other being leaky chaincase...I'm pretty sure he meant the clutch itself was coated in oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts