Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all the major Doo shops sell a jack shaft kit that comes with a Artic Secondary. Does anyone have any info on this and whatit does?
Caleb

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
some cats have a roller secondary on them.thus allowing smoother up shifts and better back shifts.however from my experiance,and from a few others I know,the doo secondary works pretty hard at backshifting so the rollers are not really a benefit on our secondary.however I don't really know anyone running a cat secondary on anything but a cat,so I do not know if there is a good gain (worth while).

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The only benefit is you can adjust the cam while on the jackshaft. So it is quicker. The clutch is not as wind resistant as Polaris and Doo clutches, so it can rob a very small amount of horsepower at very high rpms.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I run an ac secondary on my Doo.  I was going to run the Doo roller secondary but for a little more I went to the cat secondary.  It backshifts better, is a lot smoother shifting and you can run more aggressive ramps.  My belts last longer and the clutches run a lot cooler.  Helixes are also a lot cheaper.  If you do get one get the bearcat secondary the ordinary one the tra will out shift it,  You will need a longer belt and will have a lower starting geear ratio.

A

·
0 Posts
Little known fact.  The AC secondary is the best available.  This is proven with Polaris riders switching theirs to ACs for years now.  My secondary has the windage plates and has no more wind drag that my Formula used too.  The ultimate secondary is the Bearcat clutch.  It is a bit larger that the ZR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had real good luck running the Goodwin roller secondary on my Ski-doo's.  Had the same one from my 99 MXZ670 HO to now it's on my 2001 MXZ800.  Awesome up & back shifting, great top end.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Gordo - How is the roller secondary holding up on your
800? My dealer told me that the roller kit was great for
lower HP sleds but that it couldn't handle the higher HP
very well. In fact he recommended a different kit then the
OEM one. Just curious.

·
Registered
171 Posts
take this for what it is worth but a reputed tuner told me that the SD formula sec is the worst on the market (RER unit is much better).  the main reason being binding in the between the two halves.  the roller kits will obviously help in the friction reduction dept but will not address this issue.  I too have been told that the AC is the best unit on the market.  Incidentally I am running an AC roller equipped with ER encapsulated roller on my 99 MX6.  Unfortunately I spent last winter experimenting with various clutching setups last year and so was unable to draw any firm conclusions as to the effect of switching.

·
Registered
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MXZr @ June 20, 2002, 08:23am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">take this for what it is worth but a reputed tuner told me that the SD formula sec is the worst on the market[/b][/quote]
I'll say! Mine just decided to split apart off the knurled
press fit when I was clipping 85MPH. The damage assesment
was not good and nobody has really seen this happen in a
long time. It took out more then just the motor. Just one of
those freak incidents I guess.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info guuys, I know the DOO unit will be going for sure now. What exactly make s the Bearcat unit so much better and why wouldn't they use it on the top sleds at cat?
Caleb

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe the only difference with the Bearcat sec is that it is of a larger diameter.  this effectively gives you lower gearing for take-offs.  One thing to be cautious of is the clearance between the Bearcat clutch and the TRA as SD center to center distances on F, S and ZX chassis sleds is fairly short.

·
Registered
171 Posts
one last point, I am using an AC sec that has had SD splines machined in so as to allow it to be used on the stock jackshaft.  this has required the engine being moved out to the limit of adjustment in order to keep the alignment (Cat clutch sits out further than the stock SD sec, @3/8" if I remember correctly).

A

·
0 Posts
MXZr is totally right.  You pretty much have to go with trial and error to fit your belt.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kits come with jack shafts,clutch ,other clutching things, and a longer belt. But I don't knoe if it's a bearcat sec.
Caleb

·
Registered
5 Posts
MALUCHM :
Like i said, i've never had problems with the roller secondary. My sled has reeds, pipe, can and a few other goodies. I figure it's running 145 hp give or take and all i've ever done is ride it.  I may replace the rollers this year just because it's probably time to do it.  On ice in a radar run i've seen 118 mph so i'd say it works fine.  Everyone has a different opinion and a different setup, sometimes you have to experiment with what works for you & your style of riding.

·
Registered
142 Posts
On the bearcat secondary it is designed to use 1 7/16 belts.  the ordinary one is for 1 3/8 I just took a shim out.  I ran a dayco 138-4432 belt on mine and it was still to short.  It is a inch longer then the skidoo belt.  You will have no clearance problems with the Bearcat secondary unless you move the engine back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the AC roller on my MXZ 700 and it works well. I used the Kinetic jackshaft and left the secondary alone. This way if I want to sell the sled I can put it back to all stock. I'm told the AC roller will not allow the TRA o shift out all the way so you must watch out for belt bind on long WOT runs. I ran WOT across a 4ish mile lake in Quebec this winter and found the belt cracked and ready to fail the next day (150 miles later). The belt was origional and had almost 1500 miles on it so it was do to go anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Skidoo fixed all of the problems with the new RER secondary. It is being put on almost all of the Doo sleds even if they don't have RER.  It flat out works. It backshifts like a roller and you get excellant belt life. Over 1000 miles HARD miles on a belt.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Has anyone tried a Team Performance roller secondary ? I don't know if it's just for Polaris or they make them for other sleds too but the design looks interesting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts