Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a hard time putting the suspension in. I got it in without the springs but it was still a pain in the you know what. Also my track tension seems to be pretty tight, and i have the idler wheels adjusted all the way back (closest to the sled). Theres like a gap of 1/4"-1/2" between the slider and track, and thats w/out the springs or any idler wheel adjustments.

so i guess the 2 questions are

1) why is the track so tight, is it normal?

2) is there an easy way to compress the springs to make it easier to put the suspension on.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well after about 3 hours and a massive headache the 2 back springs are. We (my step dad and i) used 2 ratchet tie downs to compress the track/springs. It helped most of the way, then my dad had to use his knees to compress the springs more, then i would quicky tighten the bolts donw. Tommorow we should have the other 2 on. The track still seems to be really tight though.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
those suspension are a PIA

What we did is get a 2-3 hollow pipe and stick one end of the spring it and pry to the plastic block and pull the pipe out

My Safaris had the same set up as your Citation

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the suspension is on. Used the smae method as last night. Track seems very tight though, and the idler wheels are set as far back as they can go (towards sled)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I know in the spring you were shopping for a newer used track.
Is this a new track? Or the same one you took off?

If new, did you measure the circumference of the track to make sure it's the same size as the one you removed?

Either way, did you make sure the track is seated correctly on the drivers on the drive shaft at the front and also under the sliders? If you did replace the sliders, are they the correct length? They're usually sold in a standard length and need to be trimmed to fit the length of the rails.

I guess my post in the other thread about the track clips is outdated since you've got the track back on the sled already. LOL

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
If its the right size track I would guess the rubber drive cogs arn't aligned with the drive sprockets correctly and the track is riding up on the sprocket. I'm sure you know this but the sprocket cogs should align themselves between the belts drive cogs.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, everything is aligned right, the sprocket teeth are in the holes. I put the old track back on because teh other one was too big. I guess its alright, i have about a 3/4 in sag in the track. The sliders are the right size. I think it should be fine as long as the engine can turn the track. I think i over reacted a little, ill take a picture though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts