Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that automatic transmission fluid is really good in the chaincase cause of the low temp pour point. Any truth to this? and is it as reliable as other oils?

·
Registered
343 Posts
People in the snowtech mag had a artical on that, I've tried it and did not like it because I think the casing and chain ran to hot , and the oil got to thin so I change to canadian tire synthetic gear oil , I think it was 90-140 w and found it to be very good. My 2 cents .

·
Registered
93 Posts
USE AMSOIL CHAIN CASE OIL IT HAS A POUR POINT OF 75 DEG. BELOW ZERO AND THAT IS A FACT! ATF FLUID HAS NO FILM STRENGHT AND THATS A MAJOR CAUSE FOR HEAT TO BUILD UP AND DAMAGE YOUR BEARINGS, BUT IF YOU ARE RUNNING 1000FT SPEED RUNS AND THAT IS ALL YOU USE THAT SLED FOR THEN YOU MIGHT GET BY WITH ATF, BELIEVE ME I HAVE TRIED THIS AND THE CHAIN CASE GOT REAL HOT ON MY TRAIL SLED. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not to presuume stupid :withstupid: I was thinking that it could be possble to add a chaincase oil cooler to a sled to reduce the chaincase temp. A small oil cooler with an electric pump. would something like this work and does anybody know if there is any after market that makes them?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It's fine to use.An automatic transmission runs at much higher temps than a snowmobile chaincase. It is used in
auto trannies and transfer cases dealing with 500ft+lbs
torque so a little snowmobile is not a problem. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know lot's of guys that swear by ATF...
I use Amsoil it costs about 3 bucks more...
atf gets very thin and is manufactured to be used under extreme pressure (i.e. transmissions)
I heard of people complaining that it is two thin and leaks out between the gaskets,

my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by z800rtx@Nov 12 2002, 11:01 AM
It's fine to use.An automatic transmission runs at much higher temps than a snowmobile chaincase. It is used in
auto trannies and transfer cases dealing with 500ft+lbs
torque so a little snowmobile is not a problem. :)
This was my thinking on the subject, too. I hope we're right, because I just put Valvoline synthetic ATF in my sled yesterday.

·
Registered
310 Posts
atf will probably work, but why not get the stuff thats actually MADE for the sled and the chaincase? then you wouldnt have to ask questions like this, and you wouldnt have to worry about it either.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason i asked was that we had some -35 C two yrs ago and the doo synthetic was nearly frozen, and I might have a trip in northern Quebec, near James bay, temps go down as much as -45 C on thermometer and the nearest deler is 600 km's away so I need something with a very low temp. pour point.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by sledcrazy@Nov 12 2002, 12:06 PM
atf will probably work, but why not get the stuff thats actually MADE for the sled and the chaincase?
Because it's expensive. People think you NEED to run doo chaincase oil in a doo chaincase (or whatever manufacturer) when maybe Valvoline is actually better????

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You can run atf in your chaincase with no problems. Most 4X4's out there run chain driven transfer cases and you must run atf in them. In my opinion a 4X4 transfer case sees harder abuse than your sled ( at least my 4X4's do ) and the atf works fine. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
well Im just saying, but AMSOIL has a VERY LOW pour point doesnt it?? but whatever works for you. AMSOIL chaincase seems to work for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For what Amsoil chaincase lubes cost why would you take even the smallest chance using something that might not do the job???
If ATF did just as good a job with it costing less than ATF do you not think the mfgs would opt for using it as the factory fill?
Use what they call for and be happy sledding instead of wishing you didn't save a buck or two on ATF while walking back to the trailer.

Rick

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, 4X4 transfer cases use ATF, but they probably don't see the same chain speed that the snowmobile chain in the chaincase does.

Just a thought..

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You're right Walrus. Sled chains do see higher rpm's but a transfer case chain will see higher torgue loads and higher temperatures. Try four wheeling in the desert when temps hit 100 deg. It is not uncommen to see a transfer case go 60,000 to 80,000 miles or more befor it needs a rebuild. Synthetics are nice and amsoil may be great but atf will work as well. Up here where I live it is not uncommen to see temps well below -35. ATF has worked for me. Most manufactures wont use it because they want you to buy there chaincase oil. If it was just atf then they wouldn't have a market. The bottem line is use what you feel comfortable using and what is available. I like atf because if I do need to do any chain case work I can find a fresh supply of atf just about anywhere. Besides if it is cold enough outside to freeze the oil in your chain case to the point that you will severly damage something then you better check your engine because the antifreeze may be frozen then too. :doh:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
all this talk about different oils into the chaincase and i remember last year about this time there were guys asking about dish soap in the chaincase.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
z800rtx,
when my wife gets mad she becomes irrational. i was up on the roof sunday cleaning the evestroughs for the tenth time this year when it started to lightning and rain so i got down off the roof, fast. she was waiting at the bottom of the tv tower to give me a blast about something else i did and said get back up on that roof. i never realized till then she is just like a great friend of mine that happens to be her cousin, he gets the same way when he is enraged.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Nov 12 2002, 04:02 PM

If ATF did just as good a job with it costing less than ATF do you not think the mfgs would opt for using it as the factory fill?
That's what I'm trying to get at..I doubt there's much difference, if any. It just costs more because it's got that factory label on it. They're praying on Average Joe's ignorance. Joe thinks he needs Skidoo oil for his Skidoo chaincase when reallyithe lube is made by Quaker State and just put into a different bottle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts