Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so whats a good silencer for the F7? I dont want an over bearingly loud can... Something that will make it a little bit louder... How are the slp cans and ultra q cans? I just bought a brand new 06 f7 that was still in the crate so I am a little pumped up for it.. Anyways I am getting anxious so I am customizing it now... Ohh and post pictures of your f7 if you have anything done to it, so I can get some more ideas on what I can add to it or get done to it please... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Okay so whats a good silencer for the F7? I dont want an over bearingly loud can... Something that will make it a little bit louder... How are the slp cans and ultra q cans? I just bought a brand new 06 f7 that was still in the crate so I am a little pumped up for it.. Anyways I am getting anxious so I am customizing it now... Ohh and post pictures of your f7 if you have anything done to it, so I can get some more ideas on what I can add to it or get done to it please... Thanks![/b]
I think F-7's are nice just the way they are. Don't pimp the thing out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your hell bent on a can I would suggest the bikeman can, keeps stock power and its not obnoxiously loud.

Here's mine at the firetower near cochrane.
The stock ski's suck, any good aftermarket ski and good carbide will greatly improve the handleing for it. I would suggest 153 1.175 studs in the 1" track, huge improvement for traction and diddent slow it down either. The running board grip plates helped quite abit for boot traction too.

Other than the ski's and studs, the rest is just cosmetic to suit your taste. Clutching is pretty good on the 06's, depending on your RPM you run later you might want add weight or change the primary spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your hell bent on a can I would suggest the bikeman can, keeps stock power and its not obnoxiously loud.

Here's mine at the firetower near cochrane.
The stock ski's suck, any good aftermarket ski and good carbide will greatly improve the handleing for it. I would suggest 153 1.175 studs in the 1" track, huge improvement for traction and diddent slow it down either. The running board grip plates helped quite abit for boot traction too.
Other than the ski's and studs, the rest is just cosmetic to suit your taste. Clutching is pretty good on the 06's, depending on your RPM you run later you might want add weight or change the primary spring.[/b]
Very nice sled! I did add orange screens, changed the pull handle, changed the snowflap, and bought new ski handles... As for the track I had it picked right away, I got 136 picks up the middle... Thats what they recommended... I just bought an ultra Q can yesterday, cause supposibly its a really good can, but ive yet to put it on yet... I see you have those handle guards... Do those make a difference? Are they a pain to put on? Does that effect putting the cover on? More pictures of Firecats would be nice :) I attached a pic of the track..

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
I couldn't help but notice your location.
If you do insist on slowing your sled down and making it undesirable to the non-snowmobiling public by putting a fart can on it, please do not ride it around here. We can't keep trails around here as it is.
Looks like we are going to loose at least another 6 or seven miles of connector trails this season and the two biggest reasons land owners are not renewing land leases are trespassing and excessive noise.

Please leave it stock and spend your money where it will make a positive difference - clutching, traction, suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't help but notice your location.
If you do insist on slowing your sled down and making it undesirable to the non-snowmobiling public by putting a fart can on it, please do not ride it around here. We can't keep trails around here as it is.
Looks like we are going to loose at least another 6 or seven miles of connector trails this season and the two biggest reasons land owners are not renewing land leases are trespassing and excessive noise.

Please leave it stock and spend your money where it will make a positive difference - clutching, traction, suspension upgrades.[/b]
Well my intentions arent to make it annoying loud, so if that can does make it that way, id take it off.... Secondly where are you located at? I am in the decatur area, which is a cottage... Anyways hopefully we get some good snow this year and hopefully it wont be another bust of a year...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Paw Paw area, the trail goes past my house in the backroads trail section between Paw Paw and Gobles. I have a summer place (big travel trailer) in Decatur myself, on Lake of the Woods.

Keep in mind that to many non-snowmobilers, stock is annoyingly loud, and it is mostly non-snowmobilers that we beg for trail access when it comes time for the season to start.

It is the Dewey lake area and Paw Paw area that we are having the most problems getting land leases. The Paw Paw area is mostly noise complaints, but the number of people trespassing on the East side of town (the area there used to be trails - along side I-94, the high school, and past Almena rd and M-40 by Ski's) is what is causing the latest set of issues. Dewey lake area is plagued with trespassing problems and it looks like the club may not be able to find a re-route this season.

As an active club member and avid snowmobiler, I beg you to join a local club. Find out the issues that are facing the trails down here. If you have ridden down here, you need to be appreciative of the less than 10 people that begged for land leases, cut trails, signed and marked everything, maintained them (groomer actually ran nonstop for almost 3 weeks straight last season - is not much, but it is better than previous years) and then pulled all signage at the end of the season on Snowstompers trail set (about 70 ish miles) that run through Dowogiac, Decatur, Lawton, Paw Paw, and into Gobles. All of this work is done purely voluntarily.

Gobles DriftBusters club (Gobles area up to Allegan and Kal-Haven trail) is also desperately in need of new blood. They install, maintain, and pulled their trails with probably less than a handfull of people last season. They - as well as most other local clubs are only a few members away from disappearing every year, and if they disappear, so do the trails.

Anyway, if you do not have the time or resources to join or support a local club, then by all means, please help us keep a trail by keeping land owners happy and abiding by the rules.

Oh, by the way, nice sled - I'm a bit jealous!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I must say it's definitely a small world!! If I lived up there I would defnitely help out, but I live in chicago so its very hard for me to get up there.. We have a cottage on lake of the woods, so thats why I said its a small world... Anyways thats definitely not good that their lacking help, the trail system has improved over the years and you actually can go very far on it now... The trail that runs along I 94 there I never could quite figure out... So I usually go the opposite way.. I went to Glennwoods snowmobiles open house, and snowstompers were there with their tent and they said the trail map hasnt changed and didnt mention any of the trails being taken away... The reason I know this is because I asked for a new trail map and they said it hadnt changed along with the trail... Anyways I did buy that snowmobile from Glennwood as well... They had some really good deals that weekend on spark plugs and oil so I cashed in on that.... Now I need to buy me a 12 ft. enclosed trailer now, as for they said the 10 fooot enclosed trailers are a tight fit with this snowmobile I bought... Anyways nice meeting you and THINK SNOW! I hope we have a good year this year!! And your sled is just as nice as the firecats!

As for anyone else with pictures of their firecats I would defnitely like to see them!! Thanks!

·
10,054 Posts
I have an awsome can for your f7,,, this is no joke, I myself have an f7 and ran a (brand name) (dont care to slam them) can on mine for a year. It wasnt really loud, just a slight growl that sounded good. I myself do not care for the loud sleds,,, Anyhow, I took that can off mine and through the stock one back on,,,, WOW,,, the stock can is where its at. Save the $$ run it like it is. I ended up selling my (brand name) can on ebay and I am running stock right now. They can preach the 5 hp gain and the 5 lb weight savings all they want,,, the gps tells me that I am faster running stock.
Good luck with whater you decide to do.

Vman,,, really missed seeing you at the summer picnic,,, was hoping you would drop by and say hello,,, maybe we will get a chance to run into you sometime this winter when we make it up to the Gobles area,,,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an awsome can for your f7,,, this is no joke, I myself have an f7 and ran a (brand name) (dont care to slam them) can on mine for a year. It wasnt really loud, just a slight growl that sounded good. I myself do not care for the loud sleds,,, Anyhow, I took that can off mine and through the stock one back on,,,, WOW,,, the stock can is where its at. Save the $$ run it like it is. I ended up selling my (brand name) can on ebay and I am running stock right now. They can preach the 5 hp gain and the 5 lb weight savings all they want,,, the gps tells me that I am faster running stock.
Good luck with whater you decide to do.

Vman,,, really missed seeing you at the summer picnic,,, was hoping you would drop by and say hello,,, maybe we will get a chance to run into you sometime this winter when we make it up to the Gobles area,,,[/b]
well thats comforting to know lol... Well I already bought it... Hopefully since no ones tried the ultra q can it will end up being one I benefit from lol... if not ill prolly just switch it back

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice sled! I did add orange screens, changed the pull handle, changed the snowflap, and bought new ski handles... As for the track I had it picked right away, I got 136 picks up the middle... Thats what they recommended... I just bought an ultra Q can yesterday, cause supposibly its a really good can, but ive yet to put it on yet... I see you have those handle guards... Do those make a difference? Are they a pain to put on? Does that effect putting the cover on? More pictures of Firecats would be nice :) I attached a pic of the track..[/b]
With a stock windshield the handguard's wouldent make much of a difference, with the flyscreen they help abit actually. They have moderate protection from tree branches, roost and other flying debris kicked up by other sleds. They have abit of wind protection as well, works good cause I like to run lighter gloves. They are easy to put on, and theres enough room for them under a cover.

Also, my firecat had no problems fitting into a 10' enclosed trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With a stock windshield the handguard's wouldent make much of a difference, with the flyscreen they help abit actually. They have moderate protection from tree branches, roost and other flying debris kicked up by other sleds. They have abit of wind protection as well, works good cause I like to run lighter gloves. They are easy to put on, and theres enough room for them under a cover.

Also, my firecat had no problems fitting into a 10' enclosed trailer.[/b]
So you think getting a 12 ft enclosed pop up lid trailer would be a waste of time? The guy at the dealer said it will fit the 10 ft trailer but its got to be exact or it wont close... so i figured if thats the case id better get a 12 ft trailer... I cant wait to try this sled out... I hope it was worth the money... The snowmobile looks bad ###, but hopefully it rides as good as it looks...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Vman,,, really missed seeing you at the summer picnic,,, was hoping you would drop by and say hello,,, maybe we will get a chance to run into you sometime this winter when we make it up to the Gobles area,,,[/b]

Sure hope so,
The powers that be at the school decided that I needed my Masters to keep my job so I have been back in school myself all summer for the past few years - which included every third Saturday from 8:00 - 6:00.

Time on the weekends has been hard to come by, but it should all be over by July of 2008!! I am petitioning for graduation in March!!
I will have some free time again!!

If you guys make your way up this season let me know.
idooski only lives 10 minutes away and I have yet to meet him, crnsuperduty lives 3 blocks from my folks and I have yet to meet him either.

Lets hope for a real winter and maybe we can do a group ride or something,

Later,

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well I must say it's definitely a small world!! If I lived up there I would defnitely help out, but I live in chicago so its very hard for me to get up there.. We have a cottage on lake of the woods, so thats why I said its a small world... Anyways thats definitely not good that their lacking help, the trail system has improved over the years and you actually can go very far on it now... The trail that runs along I 94 there I never could quite figure out... So I usually go the opposite way.. I went to Glennwoods snowmobiles open house, and snowstompers were there with their tent and they said the trail map hasnt changed and didnt mention any of the trails being taken away... The reason I know this is because I asked for a new trail map and they said it hadnt changed along with the trail... Anyways I did buy that snowmobile from Glennwood as well... They had some really good deals that weekend on spark plugs and oil so I cashed in on that.... Now I need to buy me a 12 ft. enclosed trailer now, as for they said the 10 fooot enclosed trailers are a tight fit with this snowmobile I bought... Anyways nice meeting you and THINK SNOW! I hope we have a good year this year!! And your sled is just as nice as the firecats!

As for anyone else with pictures of their firecats I would defnitely like to see them!! Thanks![/b]
I figured you were going to tell me that you were on LOTW. I grew up on that lake and have been there every may - October for the past 37 years.

Thanks for supporting Glenwood snowmobile - they are a great asset to the sport and are all around great people. Their techs are actually knowledgeable and everyone there wants to help.
Can't say enough nice things about them.

p.s. you don't have to be an active member to benefit the local clubs (hint hint). There is power in numbers and plain ole' monetary members help fight the cause by simply showing their support through a small yearly dues. Most club memberships are far less than a tank of fuel for your sled and the sense of belonging you will get will give you a warm fuzzy feeling that will keep your insides toasty on even the coldest days - (sorry, may have gotten a bit carried away)

·
Registered
167 Posts
My cousin had a 2003 Black Widow edition F7, bought not long after I got mine. It was stock when he got it. We raced a few times and it was all about who had the better hole-shot, obviously (being the same sled). Not long after that weekend he had a full D&D Racing exhaust system put on it, changed the spring around in the stock primary clutch and put a TEAM secondary clutch on it. The sled kept making a odd noise somewhere in the area of the jackshaft after that. He went on to put a new jackshaft, bearings, chain, sprocket, new brakes, cog wheels, new track, studs, and V-Force reeds on it. Finally after this sled was supposedly all fixed and better he took it out for a weekend, only to be quite bothered that our neck and neck races where no longer.... We were about even out of the hole but up on top end I would pass him EVERY time!!! I am also a good 60lbs lighter than him too, so that helps. BUT we used to be neck and neck thruout, from start to finish....not anymore though. He surely lost power on that sled after adding all the crap. F7's were manufactured to be pretty much as fast as they are going to be right out of the box, no bolt on (supposed) "power adders" are needed. My cousin proved that for me with his expensive upgrades that turned out not to be upgrades at all. Needless to say he sold that sled real fast after that.
My F7 is bone stock except for the V-Force reeds that where on it when I bought it. Which I dont really care for and will eventually swap back to stock. The sled hates hot starts with the V-Force reeds. You haveta touch the gas to get it fired up when hot now. The previous owner said thats from the V-Force reeds, it didn't do that until he put them in.
So my vote is to KEEP IT STOCK if you wanna be fast out there. :christmas:
The only mods that I've done that where MUCH needed are...the cross-country foot grip rails and the grip-plates. Now my feet don't move a inch no matter how hard I'm riding. With just the stock, gripless foot runners I've almost fallen off my sled countless times. :lookaround:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Silencer will kill bottom end power on the F7. The 700 laydown isn't known for it's torque either, and they really don't like loosing the backpressure.

Spend less money on the BMP pipe mod, and then after that consider a D&D Y-pipe. It will sound the same, but both of these mods work well to make improvments to the mid-range and top end.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
agree with sw tech. saw it for real on dyno. lost 6 hp with can. the bmp can is to not loose hp and be lighter. sound isn't much different. would like to see myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres mine

[/b]
that sled looks good! Very nice! Do the green headlight covers dim the lights really bad at night? I was thinking of getting chrome ones., but if u cant see at night I would have no place to put them if I took them off...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts