Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Explain to me again(I'm sure you have already many times) about the fuel contamination problem and the proper fix for it.  You mentioned in an earlier post to take the tank off and clean it properly?  Also, is this something that if a person didn't have any problems the 1st few full tanks of gas, then they probably won't anymore or is it something that keeps coming back until a certain procedure is performed to correct the problem.  Please expalin in detail.  Thanks.
-JPL

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
From my expierience and from what i have heard from this site and others was that some of the fuel tanks were contaminated from the company that molds the tanks!!Not all tanks were contaminated from what i heard!! Supposedly there was a residue or powdery substance in the tank that when mixed with the fuel plugged the smart valves!! I went through two pumps ! I took my tank off to clean it and found aluminum filings or flakes in the tank!!I know of others that found filings in their tanks as well!! My dealer told me that he had checked my tank with a flashlight and that there was nothing in my tank!! I lost my first pump at 400 miles so it could take awhile!! I cleaned it with a pressure washer then sprayed it down with carb cleaner then wiped the inside completely out!! I had heard that there was a service bulliten for this but i did not recieve one and my dealer  said  he did not know!!

Some machines have had problems and some don't ...
hope this covers it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....  I guess at 1900 miles, I'm probably safe, you think??
-JPL

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's easy to tell if your smart valves are plugging. Take a coat hanger and fish the hose and valve assy. out of the fuel tank and look at the white membrane on the pickup, if it is sucked up tight, take it apart and try to pour gas through it. when they are plugged they hold gas, and when they are not it flows out like its not there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts