Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just got one done, they called it a master tune. They more or less take everything - I mean everything - apart and put it back togeather. 485.00 incuding new drive belt, recharge of all my shocks, hyfax, wear bars, all the oils and a choke switch. They also rebuilt the clutch will all new components.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This is a sore subject w/me. Took both of my sleds to Nielsens (have always done the work myself, but thought it was time for a dealer to look at them) last year, and asked them to call me w/an estimate. They called about a week later and said my sleds were "done". They did about a thousand dollars worth of work w/out calling me first; can you imagine how p'd off I was? This was the last straw w/them...I have $300 of store credit to use up and then I will never visit their store again.

Anyway, I usually spend about $500/yr per sled...of course this usually includes accessories too.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm with UPrider on this one except me and the boys
do all of ours one afternoon and our beer being more
$ here; just multiply everything by four :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Nickels and dimes for me. I do it all here at home.
With a service manual/basic hand tools and a little elbow grease most folks can handle that type of servicing themselves. Plus if you invite a buddy over to help its a good time to tell some lies and knock back a few refreshments (bettter results===easy on the refreshments till the works done)
Rick.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Cost more in beer than parts. Me and the guys get together and give'm a once over. I would NEVER take it to a dealer, I know more than most of those idiots do anyway. Not bragging, but the new generation of mechanics are almost retarted and I wonder how they ever got the job!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to use that word for them (not politically/socially correct), but its certainly getting harder to find one thats competant.
:) :p :D
Rick.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Mikadoo, they get the jobs 'cause that's all there is to choose from. The good ones are getting older and they can't be replaced.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I always doo it myself, I have seen these so called pre-season check up deals for less than 100 bucks, there is no way you can charge $50.00 an hour for labor and dissasemble and clean RAVE valves, both clutches, carbs, and check out the suspention, add some parts and materials and do a good job in 2 hours or less, at least I can't.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
And they can't be replaced because trade schools are all but empty these days. The high cost of tools likely has alot to do with it. I remember back in my days as an apprentice (ya we had electricity and running water then) I lived on almost nothing while paying off my tools. My boxes/hand tools are worth in the neighborhood of $50,000 plus. I don't know how an apprentice (unless single and living at home) could ever dream of paying off such a cost.
Rick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
well, im actually thinking of going to the trade school, about 5 mins away from my high school. half the day spent there, the other day spent at my regular school. ill take some sort of mechanics if i go. and the best part is they let you bring your things in!! one of my friends as got his sled in there working on it!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Congrats if you go and stick with it. Theres a big time shortage of trades people, good or bad.
:D
Rick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
good luck sledcrazy :D ,do well,back to the first question,I do all my own general labor on my sleds/toys,#1 the dealers are way expensive,#2 I always do a better job than the walking clueless at the dealership,cause its my stuff,#3 if I'm over my head I've got a bud that is a former mechanic/present moterhead that only charges $15 an hr. and thats cheap at twice the price,anyhow a preseason checkup at a dealer should be around $60 to $80 U.S.,unless they stumble across a problem,then watch out ??? later, SWRules

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree about the poor knowledge of some mechanics....... and that the cost of the tools they use are somewhat outrageous....

I think the main reason why there aren't many competent mechanics is because many of the dealers don't want to pay the mechanics the kind of money they are asking for.... I mean really, if you were a good mechanic and people knew it, would you take 10 bucks an hour from a dealer who was pocketing 45 an hour for your work, or would you go out on your own and take 20-25 an hour ???? Just gotta hope you have the resources to support it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts