Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I only have a minute to post something. Maybe a few more pics later. 10/22/07 was our first day out and it was really fun. Essentially the trail had a lot of horrible spots but when we got to our destination it was acres of open meadows and about 28" of fresh, totally untracked (but extremely wet) snow. Some folks had ridden quite a bit on the trails sunday but I guess they don't like field after field of powder because it was all pristine for me and the wife. It was 54 degrees out there today by the time we left. We definitely won't be going back there until it snows again (trail is too rough) but it was SO worth it to get what we got.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
There is nothing like the first ride of the season to bring it all back into perspective again. I'm jealous indeed, but hopefully it will only be a few more weeks for us in Michigan.

Snow4

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I bet we dont get snow till mid december again.

Regardless of whether or not it snows on christmas, im riding, whether its on grass or snow!

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow...thats beautiful!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Looks awesome Beaxch.

Glad you and Ms. Beaxch got a chance to go out to play.

Looks like you'll have plenty of miles on by the time many of us get to experience our first ride.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nothing like the first ride of the season to bring it all back into perspective again.[/b]
That is so true. Normally this is where I would write 5 huge paragraphs about how right you are, but I can't put it any better than that. I think everyone already knows this but snow4, you are the ultimate snowmobile philosopher. :thumbsup:

I'm going to post a very short highlight video from today in this tread in the next hour or so if anyone wants to check that out. There's nothing epic or extreme but for some reason I keep watching it...the rest of the stills are more of the same...the SKS and the RMK are pictured, the Vmax made the trip but stayed in the bed of the F-250.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the vid on youtube if you like. It's about 90% helmet cam, and only 2.5 minutes long (cut from about an hour of raw footage). First 50 seconds is on the trail and after that it's the meadows. I think it pretty well represents what happened until I ran out of memory card space. The meadows look a little lumpy but it was fresh (never thawed/refrozen) and very wet and soft, so it was a really smooth ride for the most part. Steering was the real challenge. Unpacked snow that wet just doesn't catch the skis very well, even the Powder Pros with a ton of ski pressure. Same problem with the truck for that matter. It took us a good 20 minutes just to get the truck turned around in the parking lot when it was time to go home, because the truck just kept going straight forward no matter how much or in which direction I turned the steering wheel. Had to eventually shovel out a path for the front wheels until we could get pointed down hill. The day was pretty much like that...weird but well worth it, especially after the long hot summer. It was exactly 5 months since our last ride of 06/07 (May 22, 2007), and not a minute too soon.

I just hope it snows again soon...the forecast is looking bleak. It's going to be 62 degrees tomorrow where we rode! So much for a good base...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2_ErdxVK8

The youtube picture quality looks terrible compared to the orignal, which wasn't great to begin with. But the SW uploader says my uploads are limited to 2MB each, even though I'm a supporting member. I don't know when that started but that is truly weak. :confused:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow you guys have it good around hear we dont get to ride till the end of Jan early feb the last few years.[/b]
I feel for you. We do have our bad luck sometimes, like 3 years ago when I was still just a snowboarder we had basically no snowmobile season. The ski areas had to open and shut several times through the year and the snowmobile spots are all lower in altitude so it was basically a lost year except for a few meager weeks (I was told). Usually we do get a ton of snow, and even if the season doesn't start until late November, which happens, if we get anywhere near normal snowfall you can pretty much count on being able to ride until May if you know where to go. I'm not taking anything for granted (that's why we had to ride Monday even though we are both sick), but so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Thanks for sharing the Video. Any Video of a fellow SW on the snow ( especially the first one of the season) is alright in my book. You nailed it right in the same places I would have too...lol

A little off topic here but we have found if you clean out some of your attatchments you will have more space for future Vids or pics ect.... Go to your control panel and down to "manage your attatchments"( then delete some of the old ones) Hopefully that will free up some space for you.

Snow4

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for sharing the Video. Any Video of a fellow SW on the snow ( especially the first one of the season) is alright in my book. You nailed it right in the same places I would have too...lol[/b]
Something about great minds...

Good thing we went Monday, it was 70 degrees at 6000 feet Tuesday. Nothing but bad news in the 7 day forecast so I guess my pre-season is over for now. It was a sweet taste. To me this is the hardest thing about snowmobiling, knowing that as much as it *usually* snows here, like crazy almost every year, and even bad years are usually pretty darn good...well you just can't be sure when or if the snow is coming. Yes it will snow again. I just want it all right now.

Torture! :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts