Snowmobile World banner

Awww @#%$

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Steimy 
#1 ·
Those of you that have DPM, One of the plastic nipples broke off of mine. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I have no idea when or how this happened, I noticed it yesterday. There are 4 nipples right off the front of the DPM module, 2 from each carb. One of them just happened to snap off.

#3 ·
I saw that you were lookin' and knew you would post just because of the word nipple! I' m tried the super glue this morning and it did set it but the hose was so tigh it snapped back off when I put it back on. That epoxy doesn't sound like a bad idea though. I have to run to Rob's after work tomorrow to pick up some parts. I'll see what he has to say too. Right now a new DPM is not an option. I'm not going to spend over $200 on something that a cheap 2 cent nipple broke off of, This has had to happen to others before.

#4 ·
Worse thing about epoxys and glues are the enviroment it will be working in. Lots of vibration and temp variations. Where the nipple broke off, how much material is behind it? Thought I have would be to drill and tap for a brass carb fitting. They come in sizes from 1/8 npt and up. Can get various sizes on the other end for hoses. Just a thought but this may be a better option than worring if the hose will break off while riding somewhere.

#5 ·
Weird kharma man! Same thing happened to me on my 01 800 last week, except mine was caused by the hands of man. Frickin wigglin the airbox out to put in reeds and lo and behold, the right side nipple is dangling from the carb line. I too chose the cheap route. Here is what I did. I looked for brass nipples but had no luck. Drilling into the unit could damage it if you are a butcher with the drill. Take a paper clip, straiten the clip and insert it through the broken nipple. This guarantees that the air passage does not get clogged from glue. Get a new tube of super glue. Dont use old stuff. put glue on the nipple and insert the end of the paper clip into the dpm sensor. slid the nipple into place on the sensormaking sure it sets in the cracks that it came from, and let the bugger set for a day. Next, use good two part epoxy and build up the base of the nipple. Score the dpm sensor near the base of the nipple for better glue adhesion. Keep the paper clip in still. Adds a bit of stability. Let that set for a day. Pull the clip out. Grease the tip of the nipple lightly and warm up the end of the hose so she glides on nice and easy. Your set.

#12 ·
Steimy, I had that happen on mine last year. What I did was drill out the DPM manifold to the match o.d. of the broken nipple. Then I cleaned up the broken base of the nipple and epoxied it into the manifold. No problems with the repair after a half year of riding. Some of the other ideas here may work fine too. Hadn't thought of the model glue option, but the DPM material is gasoline resistent and is probably much tougher than typical model plastics.

Hope this helps,

SummitAK

#13 ·
how much for a new dpm manifold?without the sensors...just the manifold itself?

#14 ·
I was never a believer in this until I was in a pinch and tried it, so don't mock it!

J.B. Weld

It works really well, and once it dries, it is ad hard as steel. In a bind, I had to patch a hole melted into my coolant reservior. It worked so well, I have never replaced the reservior. Remember to scuff up the plastic a little with some sand paper for better adhension. Otherwise, a brass fitting is the only way to go.

#15 ·
Oh yea, Rob's Performance is a great dealer. I live an hour and a half away from it, but I will buy all of my future ski-doo's from there. I bought a 02 MXZ700 Adreneline last November from them at it way great. Not only were they $600 less than any other dealer I could find (and beleive me I worked it) they have great service. The service manager took me through the most thorough delivery I have ever had on ANY vehicle. I would speak very highly of them. Now, if I could just get them to move an hour and half closer...
:p

#21 ·
It like a plastic adhesive or an everything adhesive or what? I was kinda sold on the epoxy because I know if I coat it a few times it will really stiffen up and act like a outer shell.

Are there different types of this JB weld or just one kind? What would I hace to do to prep it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.