Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was the 96 780 engine? HP? Problems? Found a cheap one and need to know some stuff about it...tell me everything!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine costs $1000 CDN ($630 US) I don't know the details of it because I'm waiting for Snow Monkey to get back to me. The best part is, its in my own back yard

Last edited by Rocketman at April 05, 2002, 12:11pm

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sounds good rocket and a decent price.Like bill said if the stock mounts will fit,less $ and less playin around with it.But isn't that why we modify things in the first place,to play with em and have some fun
My friend has a 96 780z with around
10000km on it.The crank was done around 2000k and after that she has been trouble free,it ain't the fastest but it's a good solid performer.Good luck....chris

·
Registered
756 Posts
'96's were the best of the 780's in my opinion. the price is very right.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do the 780's compare to the 809's?

·
Registered
333 Posts
We had a 96 mach z that was basically stock but set up to that years  race manual specs other than the primary spring(which was a misprint in the race manual) and it flew.On grass it was almost unbeatable. Ive had three 809 powered z since and they wont et as well as the old 780 did(may have alot to do with the old c7 suspension ) But the newer machs will drive on by on the top end. Id say that there is very little difference. This is only my opionion

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nevermind...it was a 94 780....I was misinformed...

·
Registered
19 Posts
check ebay dude, 1025 crankshop there for
american, that way you for sure wouldn't be eating my snowdust next winter when we do hook up..

Last edited by Rocketman at April 06, 2002, 5:37pm

·
Registered
756 Posts
Rocketman as inexpensive as you said that motor is I would still buy it. Especially if that is complete all w/ignition components. I rarely see complete 780-800 motors for less than $1000 US.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a but older than I would have liked...94 was a long time ago..won't it be weaker than a newer one? How does the HP compare? Will the bottom end from that one fit on the S-Chassis (can't remember if 94 was F chassis.....)

·
Registered
417 Posts
94 was an F chassis. These older 780's had issues with colling, carbs, exhaust, clutching just about all of it. Ski-Doo did update them to 95 spec so you might be alright.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm...what is colling? What kind of carb problems? I would be using aftermarket exhaust..so that solves that problem. Did the 94 use Mikuni flatsides?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about if I put the 94 780 case, but 809 top end? That will work, no? then maybe I can avoid the problems?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Man, it just gets more and more complicated don't it buddy?  

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ah..the life of a college kid with big dreams...jimmy rig something that's just as good for half the price!

·
Registered
858 Posts
You might as well just modify your 670 a bit more. I heard of people getting 140 hp out of those and thats for trail use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts