Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 model SX700R that backfires and runs poorly after sitting over the summer months. I have ran the sled less than 1 mile since a local Yamaha dealer cleaned the carbs etc. and then put in storage. I started the sled 3 times this summer and it will not idle more than about 30 seconds and wants to quit. If I crack the throttle, it backfires, just as it did last year before the service work. Any advise, new plugs are installed. Also, what can be done to put some muscle into this sled? I have been quite satisfied for the most part when the sled is running good. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Possibly old gas, that'd make it backfire only if it was really old, umm.... What did you do to store it? Improper storing is another thing that could be wrong, it could be many things....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to give you the bad news but it sounds like your learning the hard way about summerizing you machine ??? The carb cleaning that you had done took out the fuel that had turned to varnish and clogged your the idle circuit over storage time, then you put more fuel in and stored it again :nervous: once you've gotten "the nastys" in your carbs the first time it tends to come back easyer the next time because it gets in the poors of the aluminum and grows back if left sit :cussing: (not always but if it was bad enuff the first time)

·
Registered
113 Posts
You have a sleeper motor there. The ideas about running rough are spot on. If you would like specifics as to how to get the most out of the sled, send me an e-mail. Mine runs like a raped ape. Stock motor, too. I clutched it, geared it, installed Bender HOT RODS, installed carb spacer plates, and run stock exhaust and studded 144 down the center only. Run with stock Vipers and even better than some!

·
Registered
561 Posts
How does it start ? is it easy , you said the same thing happened last year , that's why you had the carbs done and it's doing the same thing . Is your chokes adjusted or stuck ? and you may have a broken reed . just a couple things to look into .

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You are NOT suppose to run the engine after you clean the carbs for the summer until the fall

The gas that you ran the sled for a mile has probably varnished your carbs

·
Registered
496 Posts
Bad GAS !!!!!! Hey if you live in a area that has reformulated gas, just drain it ! Gas stablizer will not work because the ethanol separates from the gas :cussing: Some dealers are going to stainless steal jets in those areas to help slow down the varnish build up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts