Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many of you bring backpacks along with you on your excursions, whether it be trail, or out in the middle of no-where. I finally went and bought one that has a hydration pouch. Nice pack that will compliment my "fanny-tool-puch" quite nicely. I have used the tool pouch 100% of the time for my moto-x enduro rides in the summer. But I finally am getting back into snowmobiling this year, so the tool pouch will pull double duty (hopefully I will never have to open it.....again). Anyway, I am just curious as to what a lot of you pack along in your backpacks.

I will be doing all sorts of riding really, trail and moderate powder.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
As I carry my shovel in my backpack , I don't leave home without it. Especially on those quick, " we are just going on a ten minute test ride" That's when the worst usually happens. I have an OEM skidoo backpack. It has a spot in it for my shovel and handle. I also bring a first aid kit and a Tow rope. Lots of water and trail snackems. I keep my digital camera in an internal pocket in my jacket to keep the batteries warm too.

Those hydration backpacks are cool straight out of Dune.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My contents:
Hot chocolate
Snacks,
Fold up Shovel,
extra mitts
Cell Phone
Camera,
First aid
Money, In case of an emergency, *(fuel, Hotel)
Glow sticks,
Lighter.

When i ride to school: Dry clothes, SHovel, and homework and a lunch.

ITs fun to break the rules, my princepal hates when i ride to school, but i park on my friends yard across from the school, and he cant do a thing! :devil: :hallo1: :blahblah:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I backpack for my week long travels.

I don't like saddle bags, they make my XCR look bad.

For small day trips, windshield bag is sufficient.

This in my personal opinion, there are nothing wrong with tank bags or saddle bags, but having had 5 years in the army, I can barely immagine myself without a backpack. It feels natural to me.

Also, with a packpack you can position it lower on tired days to use as a backrest if your sled doesn't have one. And when you go into the restaurants I feel better knowing all my stuff is safe with me.

If you have experience wearing them, its a comfortable ride. Remember, the waist strap is to reduce shoulder load - not wearing it WILL put alot of stress on your shoulder and neck muscles.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I dont wear a backpack cause that gets restricting. I do have a luggage bag in the back cargo rack..

Fold up shovel
camera
tow rope (very important for stupid friends)
Bungee cords (for strapping stupid friends hoods back together)
bottled water
snacks
BEER
BEER
Marlboro
Bathing suit
Playboy
Pillow
Kitchen sink
Paul Yarek
Wolfman
Hohman
and oh yeah
My sanity :blahblah:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
:D So that is where they took me when the guy told me to get in the car :devil:

I don't carry a pack but I plan on putting on saddlebags on the phazer, I'll stick in some Jerky, granola bars, etc..

·
Registered
959 Posts
i dont carry one now but im gonna be this winter im gonn ahave a
first aid kit
tow strap
my cell phone doubt it will work but keeps my mom happy
extra gloves
the liner for my coat
money
tool kit
food
water
lighter
playboy ya know just the stuff you HAVE to have if you got lost

;)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Oct 14 2002, 01:09 AM
I dont wear a backpack cause that gets restricting. I do have a luggage bag in the back cargo rack..

Fold up shovel
camera
bottled water
snacks
BEER
BEER
Marlboro
Bathing suit
Playboy
Pillow
Kitchen sink
Paul Yarek
Wolfman
Hohman
and oh yeah
LOL!!! :withstupid: SWRules :hallo1:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My last trip was digital camera, video camera, laptop PC, (all this wrapped up in towels for protection), water in outer pocket (didn't want to risk damaging electonic stuff), paperwork for sled rental, batteries, cords (battery in laptop bad), and videotape for the camcorder.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Your to funny PowderBoy!!! We had sleds at school a few times but big bad combines and 4x4 articulating tractors were a much more common site in my farm town's school.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Oct 13 2002, 08:09 PM

Fold up shovel
camera
bottled water
snacks
BEER
BEER
Marlboro
Bathing suit
Playboy
Pillow
Kitchen sink
Paul Yarek
Wolfman
Hohman
and oh yeah
pretty much the same here except for paul lmfao :D :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
remember it is better to have and not need,than to need and not have!!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
powderboy,
are you sure you don't mean my jack russell terrier in your backpack ? his name is leroy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i always carried a pack,but now that i have a rack on the sled i just strap the pack to it,ill have a rack on everysled from now on,its just so handy

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Originally posted by DaYoopers@Oct 13 2002, 09:31 PM
Any recommendations on a good backpack?
We have a ski-doo one of course but look for one that is comfortable and not too big.Remeber you have to ride with this thing on your back.Permafrost carrys the backpack and I have the saddlebags. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Originally posted by DaYoopers@Oct 14 2002, 02:31 AM
Any recommendations on a good backpack?
Dakine makes some awesome light and form fitting packs that do not really restrict your movement to any significance.

All the guys from the Frontier Films riding crew have them and they're awesome - stretchy, somewhat waterproof and tough. I'm hoping to buy one this year if I can get a good deal somewhere.

Another good place to look is Mountain Equipment Co-op (Calgary, Montreal), but I find that a lot of their good, tough backpacks are either too big or are metal framed, geared more towards the hiking crowd. Can't knock their quality though, they're top notch.

-Rob

·
Registered
74 Posts
I carry a backpack now and then. My riding buddy and I carry his.

It doesn't contain any items for survival or food items. We carry a towel and perhaps a waterproof bag of sorts, depending on how it's loaded with a camcorder in it. The camcorder is hooked up to a helmetcam we have a helmetcam that can go onto either of our helmets and we wear it to get some extremely cool home video of our adventures in sledding.

We picked up the helmetcam from www.helmetcam.com. The thing only had a 5 day return policy or something short like that. It's a cheap helmetcam and we should have bought a more espensive one with a better CCD imager. The one we have gives a good image, but there is often a gradient color fade that happens on one side of the screen. It's still good enough for our needs, but we may get a higher quality one next time.

It's really fun to get footage of where you've been and have some true to life video of what riding is really like on the trail to show to friends. Of course even video cannot do justice to the experience of riding. Gotta stop typing now I'm getting to excited about the next season. Can hardly wait.

Greg

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm thinking about trying a backpack this year. Last year I used the pouch in the seat. Big mistake. I put a blueberry muffin and a plastic container of apple juice in there. At the next stop, all I had was apple-muffin sludge all over the inside of the seat. My registration & insurance card have all rotted and become covered with mold, and in addition to the entire pouch stinking to all holy hell, it still has blueberry stains all over the foam. :cussing:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You guys are only forgetting the most important item.

CONDOMS!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts