Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my old snowmobile today and went to check the spark and it only sparks on one of the coil wires. I tried switching plugs to see if one was bad but I'm pretty sure that the coil is bad. The coil was fine last time I was working on the snowmobile and it had great spark on both sides but now it has spark on just one side. I was wondering what are some possible causes other than just being old and wearing out that can make the coil go bad. Can a bad voltage regulator cause a coil to go out? I'm using the original voltage regulator in my 1980 jag 2000 body with the 1978 panther 5000 engine and everything worked great until i cook the engine and rebuilt it. Also when i had the original jag engine in it the coil went bad that was brand new and it only worked for a year after i had all new electical put on it.. cdi, internal and extrernal coils new.

·
10,054 Posts
coils can just wear out over time, but before just pitching it, I would check to see that your wire and your plug boot are both good. If you have a wire that has come out enough to not let your spark through,,, then its a simple cheap fix,,,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i already checked and cut off about an inch of wire and tried it still no luck. My friends going to sell me his old trail cat for 20 bucks which has the same coil i need so i'll probably just get that but i would like to make sure that if some of my other electrical is bad i wont have any chances of another coil failing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts