Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost compression on one cylinder, so I took my 2000 mxz 600 to the shop. The mechanic told me I had a bad crank bearing and the debris in the crankcase messed up my piston. The damage to the piston is understandable, but why or how does a crank bearing go out? Is this common for my year sled? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
That year 700's had issues with getting enough oil to the crank bearings.  One side is packed with grease but the other side relied on oil.  When the factory messed up and set the oil intake too low there were lots of crank bearings that were damaged.  

I don't know if that effected the 600's or not.  Could be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My crank bearing just went out on my 98 MXZ 670 2600 miles.  The dealer told me they go out between 2500 and 3000 miles due to lack of oil.   They told me to drill the hole out bigger so more oil could get to it.  

My buddy just came back from Tip Up Town because of a noise in the motor.  Tore his apart and his bearing fell out in pieces.  Same year and motor size with 2400 miles on it.

What should we do?  Drill the holes bigger or can we just adjust the oil flow to the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 98 670 formula Z, Started hearing noise, brought it to the dealer and found out the crank bearings are broken, Luckly i stoped when i did. Is this normal at 7000km? Did i not store it properly. The total job is going to run me 470$ for a new crank complete + mine. And 100$ for gaskets and 6 to 10 hours of labour at 50$/ hour. Im looking at $1000.00 in total.
What do i have to do to prevent this from happening on future machines.  Also thinking of getting the new 440mxz Xteam sled. What do you think of it and is it good for long rides or just messing around.

Thanks in advance..
Marco...

Also wher do you drill the hole, Ive never heard of this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
what causes this condition?
 ski-doo.  They havent been able to get it right lately with their cranks.  Lost the PTO crank bearing on my 00 mxz700 last winter at 1365 miles.   Just had a buddy who had his crank bearing go out on 98 mach z with about 3000 miles this weekend.  My buddies that drive polaris really get a kick out of this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one.  

Civic97   If you have any mechanical ability at all, you can save about 700.  Buy a service manual.  Everything you need to know is in there.  There is not much at all to a motor.  Pretty easy, Like building a small block chevy.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
97civictyper for 470 I would say you are getting rebuilt not a new crank they are about twice the cost and worth it IMO.my 00 mxz 700 has 2932 miles on it now no problems yet.but my dealer did make sure the pump was set correctly before delivering the sled to me.the piped sled in my trailer has close to if not over 2000 miles on it same as me no problems yet.you need to make sure they are using the oil they should if in doubt ask the dealer,some think since its new it is ok that its not using as much oil as it should or something.that is the riders responsibility the dealer does not know if your sled is using the right amount.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No its not new its a rebuilt one from bombardier. With all new bearings and conecting rod bearings. He told me that they wont just change one bearing and that its better to do them all since there there..1 good thing is that its fixed only took 2 days and i have a full 1 year warrenty on parts and the job..

97CivicType-R

·
Registered
279 Posts
Two of the causes of crank bearing failure are impropper summer storage, and failure to warm the motor up b4 pounding it. Unfortunatly the cranks in some doo triples and series three engines are suspect due to imo poor engineering. More than half of the people I know with 00700s have had crank bearing failure. I fortunatly had over 7000mi on my 00700 with out a crank problem.  I completly rebuilt my engine this season and purchased a rebuilt crank from bombi. I would swear that it was a new crank because I couldnt find any part on that appeareared to be used.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
in my opinion thats where bomb made a big mistake. no oil for the crank just packed bearings. when they work they work fine when they faile.....   they did have problems but seem to have solved most of them. bomb said that they would not recall any just repaire the one that came back.i dont have much faith inthem. what bearing let go? if it was inside clutch side. i would ask then how many belts have u blown at high speeds. mabe and just mabe it could be a crank seal that started it all off. if it was the ohter side well just a bad bearing or alot of miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had one rip in half. The center one went when I was going across a field and the cases are in 4 not 2 pieces. Any one know where to get a good lower end to build?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts