Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first ride this year I rode 6 miles to warm the sled up and then check the plugs after adding boyseen reeds and ceramic coating my pipe. My sled is a Mxz 700 year 2000. On my return from around the block, the motor quite and then I restarted the sled and after about 20 or 30 ft it died and lock up. I then spent my saturday tearing it down and not finding much. I think one of the crank bearings went and I am taking it to the dealer today. I am trying to decide whether to part out my sled and buy a 2004 GSX with a 600 sdi or fix my sled. I am waitig though until they take a look at the crank and give me a cost to fix the problem. So here is my delima the cost of the GSX is $6500. Any input on what to look for either on the repair or the GSX would help with the decision.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
How many miles on the sled? Sounds like you got a crank failure there, it's about 600+ cdn plus labour. I had the same problem with the same motor with 10,000 kms on it. Turns out that the '99-'00 motors are not built as heavy as the newer 700's. Thats what I ended up putting in what a pain to find out the hard way that my cylinders wouldn't fit the newer bottom end that I managed to find :cussing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have around 6,000 miles on it. Did you replace any other parts while you had the engine down?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
BUY THE REV !! As much as i miss my old 00zx500 that i finally got it the way i wanted it, 4 yrs later. The rev is a awsome ride .
Your looking at a sled w/ some mi,s on it and going on 6yrs old if your going to keep it be ready to start fixing things . By the time you go through things you could have a nice chunk of coin to pay off the rev in a yr or so, and have all the newest cudos to boot .Not to mention a BACK agian.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my opinion it all depends how much money you have. If you can afford it go new and set the sled up for you. If you are cash strapped it would suck to have a new sled and no money for gas. Find out exactly what is wrong and doo what you think is best for your wallet. And remember we didn't get into this sport to save money.

As far as parting out the sled. Figure out how much you can get for a running sled or parting it out. Sorry for your bad luck. :cussing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input, the only reason I havent just jumped at a new sled is last year I replaced the suspension with a Expert X. But the motor is up at the dealer now and I am waiting for the results. I figure anything less than 800 to 1000 and I will fix it and sell it in the next year or so other wise I will finally get to move to a rev.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts