Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 01 mxz 600, the handling was TERRIBLE last season,  the whole sled was stock.  stock skis.  when i would be going across a lake going fast, the skis would be moving everywhere, i would have to slow down because they would try to turn and everything.  this happened it deep snow, or ice covered snow as well.  and it wasnt much for the trail either.  what would the problem be??  i have new c&a pro skis now, will that solve the problem??  or what will??

·
Registered
692 Posts
check your toe alignment im not sure what yous is to be? the dealer should!  how does it turn when you want it to? i bet the alignments out! its a easy read w/ a tape

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sounds like the ski is "hunting", trying to pick a groove to follow.  I find this to be somewhat natural in some snow condidtions but there are a number of things that can magnify it.  Number one is like folgers said.  Make sure the skiis are aligned.  You could also try taking some weight off the front and make sure everything in your steering assembly is tight.
More aggressive skiis, like the C&A's, might make things worse.  Although someone who's used them might say different.
The new double keel skii's, like what came on the '02 MXZ's, are supposed to help.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Get the precsion skiis they rule.  I would not ride without them after trying them.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I agree with folgers. When the sled tries to find a groove thats not as bad as what your describing. The aligment on your skis doesnt have to be off by alot. When you get to higher speeds though it will get worse like you describe. I would also check the bolts and washers on the skis. Sometimes washers can sheer off, may be hard to belief but i have had them dissapear without warning. If the skis are loose when they sit, then that will also do it so try tightening the bolt. Also warped skis... skis that sit in the sun... can become unstraight

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sledcrazy you will not be disapointed with the c&a's,the stock skis that came with your machine are the biggest P.O.S around,completely useless,just check alignment,you will not dart with the c&a's,do a search i have yet to hear someone complain about their c&a's

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jdsmi @ Sep. 23, 2002, 1:01pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like the ski is "hunting", trying to pick a groove to follow.  I find this to be somewhat natural in some snow condidtions but there are a number of things that can magnify it.  Number one is like folgers said.  Make sure the skiis are aligned.  You could also try taking some weight off the front and make sure everything in your steering assembly is tight.
More aggressive skiis, like the C&A's, might make things worse.  Although someone who's used them might say different.
The new double keel skii's, like what came on the '02 MXZ's, are supposed to help.[/b][/quote]
What he said about the double keel skiis is very true.  They make a huge difference.  But, your problem could be in your suspension.  There are a couple of belts down there that are dependent on the steering.  If you adjust those, that might help.  If not, like the other guys said check the alignment is true.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what should i do to those straps under the machine??  how should i set them?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sledcrazy just get your alignment checked 1st then try the c&a's,no use changing a bunch of stuff,if you have never adjusted you limit strap it should be fine then with the new skis

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sledcrazy, you will like the the way C&A ski's work they will make a big diff.  Set your alignment at 0-deg's with the C&A ski's.

·
Registered
757 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sledcrazy just get your alignment checked 1st then try the c&a's,no use changing a bunch of stuff,if you have never adjusted you limit strap it should be fine then with the new skis

[/b][/quote]

Like they say, one thing at a time.  Lengthening the strap will take pressure off the skiis but check the alignment and try the C&A's first.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your skis are "darting", skidoo sells a product that screws to the bottum of your skis for $20 (Easy Steer? I think its called). I had the same problem on my MXZ. It will eliminate up to 80% of the darting. Also you should not be running over 6" carbide on your skis. To much carbide will create to much grab. Start with the easy steer first, then work from there.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the easy steer will solve a darting problem,but they cant even come close to the overall handling of the c&a's,it just comes down to a matter of what you want,and how much to spend,its when the trails get beat up and sloppy you will see the c&a's shine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts