Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im installing some new stuff on the old indy, and next on th list is the handle-bar riser. It's a 4", and i got the throttle-cable extension already...is that the only extension ill need? ive heard you dont need them for brak cables and accessories like lights and hand warmers...its a 90' indy 500 .thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, im installing some new stuff on the old indy, and next on th list is the handle-bar riser. It's a 4", and i got the throttle-cable extension already...is that the only extension ill need? ive heard you dont need them for brak cables and accessories like lights and hand warmers...its a 90' indy 500 .thanks[/b]

Brake line extension... dont try to just make it work.... you will regret it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had bar risers on my Storm, no one had a cable extender on it and every time I turned it would accelerate at deadly speeds on the soft turns. You just need to get the throttle extender on there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brake should be fine. throttle is a must, as stated above.[/b]
I dont agree... It might be long enough... but what you fail to realize is your still putting alot of stress on it if its all stretched out... Its made to have extra slack... taking almost all of that away isnt really safe and isnt a good idea...

.... Just because something works doesnt always make it the best idea...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
pay attention man! your not talking to people with no experience or a bunch of first time sledders. we have done the mod and we know what it takes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input, i got the throttle cable extension, and i think i should be good with that. Anyone know from experience, if a pivot is necessary for having a riser on there? im keeping the stock bars, but dont want them coming straight out into my chest either. Anyone??

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you have the stuff, why not bolt it up and try it?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Personally I find the pivot adaptor to be absolutely necessary. A 4" riser moves the bars back as well as up, and what you most need on this chassis is to get the bars forward.
What I did on my XCR was to take the bars off and straighen them out. That, with a 2" riser was a huge improvement, though still not enough. Personally, I'd go with a riser and a set of motocross bars.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i think the indy chassis had a motocross type bar.[/b]
Not the old 500. They were a little too narrow with too much pull back for me. I had an atv bend on mine and it felt good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theyre stock, and they dont have the atv or motocross cross bar in them. I think theyre pretty much straight. I would love to just bolt up the parts and try it, but im in southern wisconsin, and the sleds/cottage are 4 hours away, so im trying to figure out what ill need before i make the next trip. I think i might nee to go with a pivot though, i was hoping to be able to get away without it, but we'll see i guess

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i baught a set off ebay for a sled that were stock. they had the motocross type cross beam on the top. thae year was around 95-97.[/b]
None of the Indy's had motocross type bars stock. They were a flat bar with alot of pull back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, id like to keep the hand warmers and all stock stuff on the sled,and if at all possible, go without the pivot, so hopefully the bars will go up more then they go back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just be careful of the steering post at the top. That is a very weak point and if you pull on it alot with an extension it will put a lot of stress on it and they've been known to break. Also, that chincy little bushing and support they put on the steering hoop should be checked out, we replace them with the 2 piece block from SLP, that bushing will wear out.

Personally, I use the Sportech articulating riser and have not had any issues with them. I also use the SLP comfort bars which add a little more rise also. I've also put the brake cable on with each one I've done, not saying it is "necessary" but I just like to know I've got enough and they are a better cable than stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i was up at the cottage this past weekend, doing some work, and i pulled out the sled and put on the riser block. It brought the bars up, but back farther then id want. So im getting the pivot riser adapter from dennis kirk, the one that will work with a non pivot type bar. The brake line might be long enough to get away with keeping stock, but if i am to put on a longer one, how do i know which one i need?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts