Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 01 mxz800x DPM with  about 1,200 miles on it. All updates done to it. Did not get manual with sled. Few basic questions about DPM, since I am new to it. Jetted down my 98 mxz670, both pilot and main, and that really livened up that engine. I ride at 1,500 to 3,800 ft. If I were to jet down the 800 with DPM, would the DPM have to be reprogrammed or would it automatically compensate? What are the stock jets for the 01 800? We ride in tight logging trails in VT. and wide open throttle is rare, seeing that the trees are always the winner in head-ons. Want crisper throttle response but do not want to burn up this engine. This big twin shakes like a morning-after a bottle of JD!

·
Registered
100 Posts
As far as i know about Dpm is that it begins to compensate at - 20 celcius or - 5 farenheit.The stock jetting on the 2001 800 was 500 mains.I run 480s at 300ft above sea level with no problems at - 20 celcius.I have found that the best way to jet is by checking piston wash. Good Luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You will never be able to read the piston wash on these twins. I run 440s and im good til -10 or so. I do know people that run 390s but im not that brave. Stay away from 6 to 7 thousand rpm this thing has a hot spot no matter what mains you run 500s or 390s it doesnt matter. GLH RACING will have the fix in a couple of months or so. Good luck!! there is alot of good info on this sled in this forum.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you are using the stock head, we can run around a 460,480 here in Mich. Do not go to lean with this engine. They like the fuel using the stock head. They will slow down before you get it hot enough to melt the pistons. Now, they do have a very lean spot at the 6-7000 RPM range. Going down on the mains will make it even more of a problem.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the dpm will still do its job, but it is not smart system that reads what you need and compensates.it follows the maps programed in the mpem,that are for temp and altitude.it will not read a lean condition and add fuel to compensate.best way to jet is by reading the plugs and piston wash.on the 700's you can go down a couple main #'s and be ok but like what was said the 800's have a lean spot that is mid range, so leaning out the mains will increase the problem.to clean up the throttle response and improve mid range power try the boyesson reeds,best bang for your buck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts