Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note cautioning you grass drag guys to be careful when you're testing.
This is the article:

A midsummer snowmobile accident claimed the life of a 30-year-old man who was thrown into a fence during a test run yesterday (Friday) on a modified course in cottage country north of Montreal.

Stephane Graton's 800 cc machine had been modified with rollers to replace the front skis.

The farmer from Mirabel has been practising "drag" racing for several years.

His vehicle struck the security fence of a Hydro-Quebec electrical installation at 100kph. He died instantly.

Graton's brother said the death was devastating.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Survival of the fittest.

Why would he go 60 across a stretch of grass without first checking out the lane for stumps, ditches, FENCES, etc?

No sympathy for the stupid.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ouch, I have seen a couple guys go end over end on the grass, but no one was badly hurt, just bumps and bruises!  Keep it safe on the grass this summer and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
328 Posts
That does seem pretty harsh.  Who doesn't do something a little dumb every once in a while?  I do.  I crashed my now backup sled a 670 h.o. June 24th 2001 while grass dragging (myself).  In my situation performancex would be correct  because it was very stupid of me.  I broke 2 ribs from sternum on left lower front, cracked 1 more on same side, cracked 2 right lower front ribs,  bruised my left kidney (pee'd blood), got whiplash and a concussion.  Since that day I have had whiplash twice more caused from crashing my atv.  I can laugh about that stuff now.  "survival of the fittest" right X.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Rollers are worthless on grass or dirt, they hook on stuff worse than ski's. Even carbides hook on small rocks and roots. Stick with straight steel wear rods, they slide easier. My condolences to the family.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Guys i have to agree with the above comment from performancex.  I know he was pretty hard and im sure hes sorry for the guy but if your gonna go racing at 100km and you strike a fence put up by hydro you got what was waiting for you.  I mean the fence was standing probably marked by hydro.  

The only way this guy would get some sympathy is if the fence was knocked over on the ground.  But he still should have checked his course before he ran it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm not looking for sympathy, but hey my stupidity is my own worst enemy.  

Funny thing is, its always seems like a good idea, until someone gets hurt (usually me).

We all do stupid things from time to time.  You can never be too careful, and unfortunately, it takes things like this to remind us to watch out for ourselves.

My condolence to the family.

FishHog

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Thanks for your support.  I'm an advocate for population control.  I used to love everybody, but being severely stressed in college in Minneapolis for 5 years changed my whole attitude (and made me realize why living in Chicago for a few years turned my grandfather into such a racist, but that's another story).
Anyhow, they say Charles Darwin was one of the greatest minds to ever live (165 IQ, compare to Einstein at 161) and it was he who first suggested the idea of "natural selection".

·
Registered
146 Posts
 Yup, I got your back pfmncx. I'm sure ya read my reply about the wheely through the fire too and feel the same. Think first, die latter, not die/snap neck, regret latter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why!?!?!?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanx much ARCTICZRT600.  
  Your a good man.

I think everyone needs to realize that opinions are like bungholes, everyones got one and they all stink. You just have to learn to accept em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
why?!?!?!?!?

Quote: "Think first, die latter, not die/snap neck, regret latter"

We wouldn't want you running into a fallin' tree..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmmmm, your correct. Thats probably why I dont do 105 mph through the trail so I dont hit them or other people. BUT, I think we are getting a little off topic for the race forum. Peace out folks. I'm done with this thread.

Early snow, lots of fun, God bless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts