Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eversince a young boy. I loved watching SnowTrax tv and sitting at my front window watching the snowmobiles go by watching the snow dancing over there hood. Never had the chance to purchase my own sled we get the odd good amount of snow around here but Im of age get a truck and go up north to do some real sledding. Ive been itching to pick up a sled I just dont know tones about buying a used sled..

Ive rode a Indy 440 so I got a feel for the sled but im looking to go a lil bigger then that.

Years?Brands?Prices?Miles?

Im going to stick with 98 And Up.. Brands {Preff. Skidoo->Polaris->Arctic Cat} Sizes{500->700}

Whats a good amount of miles to have on one of these year of sleds to be reliable for the next few years?

any other info would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
id say these are the sleds you would like. Polaris gne 2 or edge 500 or 600 (and edge is better the na gen 2 chassis), a ZL or ZR 500 or 600, or an MXZ 500 or 600. all these sled are great and will be all around good sleds. id say if it had less then 5000 you would not be doing to back but look for something around 3500 or so if you can. how much do you want to spend

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Something 98 and up in a 600cc class would be a good choice. Mileage is not as important as condition, many with low miles are beat up pretty bad. It would be easier to offer advice if you suggest a price range and type of riding you intend on doing.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well ive been looking and some seen some great sleds up to 3000$..

its just going to be normal field riding and some trails.. not anything to fast but when I get into one of my buddies fields jsut go wide open and get a good speed or something. but most riding will be not too too fast but you know..always fun to have a lil punch when your out on the lake with some buddies

thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
mileage is not near as important as condition. check the track especially if there are studs.tell the seller to start it and make sure you look at the entire track for rips tears studs missing.if it needs a new track theres 5 to 700 bucks you need to add to the price of the sled.also check clutches for cracks make sure they are not seized.this can also get very expensive to repair.you may find an older sled for 1500 dollars in really good shape,take your time there are alot of really good sleds around for sale cheap.i have a 93 polaris with 8400 miles on it in mint condition,it is all just been rebuilt,new bearings new track etc. so you see year and mileage is not very important.the history however is,if the seller says its rebuilt ask for receipts to prove it.if they say i don't have receipts,or they say i can't start it right now,walk away they are 90%of the time lying about rebuild or hiding something.see my point is my sled is as new condition,its older it has alot of miles,but in ontario top price for it would be 2000,probably only get 1500. its a 600 so its big power. do not let age and mileage discourage you from buying a sled if the sellar can prove work said to be performed.happy shoping

p.s by the way my sled is not for sale i only used it as an example lol.i have way to much time and money into it to sell it for 2000 bucks lol. :christmas:

·
Registered
347 Posts
might i add. be patient and take a look around. dont buy the first thing you see. i was going to purchase a 89 indy 500 in mint condition for 900$ but i looked some more and about a week later i found a 1996 wildcat 700efi with reverse for 800$.

·
Registered
252 Posts
very good advice k1nd.as i said it is a buyers market right now,you may not get 1 for this season but patience will pay off in the end.judging buy the winter we had,the dealerships are still full of new sleds.so it would pay off to wait till spring,i garantee you will find a smokin deal on a good used sled for next season. just remember proof of work performed,and maybe take someone with you that knows what problems to look for.always remember it your money and you have the final say. happy shopping :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want "a little punch" I would stay away from a fan cooled engine.

I would recommend and Indy 500. Very reliale engine. No the most powerful. Parts-a-plenty. You could probably find one in the edge chasis at that price. Everyone thinks very highly of this sled and there is a reason the engine stuck around till this year. The 600 Polaris is a good choice as well.

or Skidoo anything with the 600 cc. If you look there are 3 different engines but the only one you will find in you price range is the non HO/ non sdi version. I also own a 700 cc skidoo and can vouch for its dependability / durability.

Should be able to find something for 3000 no problem.

As mentioned check track rips, tares, missing lug, delamination
Make sure front and rear suspension travel freely and that there is no parts damaged (I know a few people who have the skidoo sc 10 suspension that have broke the front arm of the rear suspension)
Check coolant colour and level
Pull chain case dipstick and see how big of a hedgehog apears on the end. Wipe off and do again (observe level). This may also help you determine if the owner actually looked after his machine.
Check too see if any stress marks or cracks in belly pan or kinks in tunnel.
Check sliders(how much is left on them)
Chek carbides (if anything left)
Check skis
Check belt

If possible take machine for a ride.

Ask if machine was regularily serviced by a dealer. If so go ask the dealer if he knows anything about the sled.

Happy trails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts