Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve noticed during the grass drag season that the belts we run usually around 40 passes or so before the performance drops off, the belts look like new and measure maybe a 32nd of a inch narrower on the top and 2/32`s smaller on the bottom, or basically nil. I suspect a belt stretch condition but obviously theres not a good way to verify that. Does anybody that races weekly have any ideas for verifying a belt is whooped before it effects the et`s of the sled? Dam, I got rooms full of like new lookin belts which of course I keep for winter where  belt performance is less critical.

·
Registered
101 Posts
40 passes on a belt is about normal for a race sled.       just take those belts that look like new and sell them to some suckers       sell two belts and buy one new one

Z

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (1000IMP @ Sep. 18, 2002, 01:28am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">40 passes on a belt is about normal for a race sled.       just take those belts that look like new and sell them to some suckers       sell two belts and buy one new one[/b][/quote]
Ouch!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
he he he  

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
remind me to never buy anything for 1000IMP.just the kind of guy you learn to hate quick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
haha come on,    on a race sled every little bit counts, you will not even notice the diff on a trail machine, and for half the price of new?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, 1000IMP is right! I have 18 used belts (Black Magic, 010's and 020's) left over from speed runs (1000&#39
and asphalt drag racing (1/4 mile) and have been useing them for trail riding on my ZR800 and they work just fine. I have found that 1/32's wear on a 010 belt will race ok but will hurt top end. Thats because the top width on a 010 belt new is around 1.350". If you remove the spring from the drive cl. and close up the sheves and measure the dist. between them you get around 1.340". Remove 1/32" (.0313) from the belt and you have a width of only 1.319". Get the picture?? Now the Black Magic and the Arctic 020 belts are another story. Also look at the sides of the belt. If it has a light gray color your ok but if it has that black shinny look you have belt slippage and need more pre-load or a stronger driven cl. spring. Just my .02 !

Auggie

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey Auggie, what is your 1/4 mile et's with your ZR800?
60' and mph if you have it. Playing with stock 01 ZR800 and want to know if it's far off, best [email protected] with low 1.4's 60' all runs with the temp in the 80's.
Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well Toydoc, the last time we went drag racing was in "98" and we raced a stock 1997 ZRT800 in NSSR. Our best 60' times were 1.43 to 1.48 sec. Our best ET's were 10.52 to 10.68. Our mph ranged from 119.00 to a best of 122.20 mph. Out side temp was from a low of 65* to a high of 95*. Your times are very very good for a ZR800. Remember keep your gas cool and use an engine cool down system. I think things have changed a lot in (4) years. I have herd of 60' times in the low 1.3's. Also deep stage for good ET's.

Auggie

·
Registered
86 Posts
ballsout1, I wouldn't complain about 40 passes per belt.
1000IMP is right about selling them.  We keep half of our used race belts for our trail sleds and we sell the rest for a little less than 1/2 price.  They work just fine on a trail sled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts