Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal on my 2002 MXZ 800.  Totally stock except for 500 mains.  1.25 track with 96 studs.  I marked the primary clutch and went to a lake which had almost ideal conditions and ran about a 1/2 mile run.  The black mark was "completely" erased.  I then installed a 27 tooth gear and ran again and the same result - black mark "completely" erased.  I'm topping out at about 110 (speedo) with both gears - can't really say one has an advantage over the other yet.  At least I couldn't tell by the seat of my pants.  The same results were noticed when I ran on different lake with not-so-ideal conditions.  

I always thought you wanted to have about 1/4" of marker left on the primary?

I measured my belt last night and it was 44 1/4" long.  My friend says the standard belt should be 44" - Can anyone varify this!?!  Could it be that my belt is too long and thus causing the marks to be erased completely at full shift?  

Any input or advice would be welcomed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Either that, or you can run a taller gear. (28).  Make sure you have proper belt deflection first, and the clutches are within specs.  Are you looking for top end or short drag races?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely getting the shift out. 1/4 inch is common. Coulda been 43 3/4. Either way, it's always good to check belt deflection and adjust accordingly. I've seen bigger variances than 1/4. Makes it difficult when you're racing. Not quite such a big deal on a trail sled, unless you're going for spot-on performance. Assuming proper belt deflection, I guess I'd be looking to try a 28, too. Wow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts