Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question - My wife complained that my old zr580 efi (now hers) is lacking some zip.  I did a quick once-over and discovered about 4 "teeth" missing out of the belt.  First, could this account for the power loss (slippage, perhaps?)  second, how did this chunk go AWOL?  Could it be a symptom of another problem?  the belt is an original so it has almost 2,500 miles on it - it really doesn't owe me any favours.  Would it be just wear, in your opinion?

As always, Thanks for your help.

P.S.  Yes, of course I replaced it, but have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes that's probably the cause of power loss.  Not sure why they fly off.  I think it's just age.  The rubber starts to dry out, then they fly off.  I had the same thing happen with our old ElTigre this year.  I also melted a belt on my ZRT when the track froze & I forgot to break it free before I took off.  That melted a 3 - 4 inch chunk on the belt.  It was ok at high rpm because the lugs aren't touching the clutch, but at low rpm's there was a clunking noise & poor performance.  Stupid mistake, $80- lesson, now I always lift & drop the back of the sled even if we only stop for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'de be inclined to think it was just waer and old age.Rubber gets hard and cracked after a while.It's like pieces of a fan belt coming off after it's old as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2500 miles is great for your belt life . wish I could get that many. I think the heat can take it out of the belt. Put on the new one and break it in, hope you get another 2500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts