Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i know a while back i already had a topic like this but i couldnt find it and wanted to ask a different question. I know in my last topic i asked what tool is required to open the cluch and was told it was almost like a bolt. Where does this bolt thread into, i looked at my secondary and there wasnt any holes that could have anything threaded in. I believe it uses a bolt but cant figure out where it would go?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you look at the centre hub on the secondary clutch, you'll see the 3 studs that have a small nut on it. These are used to adjust where your belt rides inside the sheaves. There's a 4th hole amongst these other three that has nothing in it. That's where you install the tool. Most clutches have a small raised arrow on the side of the centre hub that points at the hole.

It not that hard to find. It's the only hole that I can remember being on the side of the clutch.

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If it's an earlier Formula secondary, there's no threaded hole for the tool and only 2 belt height adjustment bolts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to guess its a early formula clutch because the sled is a 1992 and after looking i didnt see any holes. Ill post a pic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure about your Doo, but I know with Polaris the tool is only needed on sleds with electronic reverse. To remove your belt just grab it mid way betwen your clutches and pull up and back at the same time it should come off. It might take a bit of practice but you should get it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if the clutch doesnt slide open, and doesnt have a threaded in tool, how do i change the belt on the side of the trail if i need to?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The sheaves on the secondary should slide open. Either apply the park brake or have someone hold the brake on. Grab the inside pulley half of the secondary and twist it clockwise while pushing. The halves should open allowing you to pull the belt upward then over the outside pulley half then off the primary pulley. If the shaft is rusty inside the secondary this will be difficult. Try spraying some loose nut or WD 40 on the shaft and let it soak a few days. Its best to remove the clutches and clean them manually or take them to someone who can.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would take those clutches off for a good cleaning while your at it. grab a piece of scotchbrite to help. I am pretty sure you can take out a bolt for the belt deflection adjustment and put the tool in it, :confused: maybe not? I used to just push the belt down (like it has shifted up) so it held open the secondary and that let me slide the other side off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That makes sence. I thought this clutch was like my old polaris so i tried the push and spin thing and it wouldnt budge so it definatly is frozen. Can you guys id those clutches? The previous owner told me there was changes to the drive train so this sled would be competitive in a drag, and i know it has work somewhere because it will stand the front up for a long time, but i dont know if it was re springed and other clutch work or just change the gearing in the chain case. If it helps i had this sled up in the 90mph range and the engine wasnt revving abnormally high, but it still accellerates like a bat out of he11

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
That makes sence. I thought this clutch was like my old polaris so i tried the push and spin thing and it wouldnt budge so it definatly is frozen. Can you guys id those clutches? The previous owner told me there was changes to the drive train so this sled would be competitive in a drag, and i know it has work somewhere because it will stand the front up for a long time, but i dont know if it was re springed and other clutch work or just change the gearing in the chain case. If it helps i had this sled up in the 90mph range and the engine wasnt revving abnormally high, but it still accellerates like a bat out of he11[/b]
check the gearing and see if it was stock. after removal and disassembly of clutches for cleaning the rest can be checked.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i made some progress. After clamping the brake on and turning the clutch, i got the back plate to rotate. I havnt gotten it to open yet, but atliest its moving.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The first one should be the secondary, and second pic the primary if it loaded the same way.[/b]
That is definately a 1st generation Formula CVT. Take the clutches off and give them a good cleaning. Looks like they spent too much time exposed to the elements. As I said before, I have parts for that set up which I'll gladly give you if you pay the shipping from Quebec.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill take them off and clean them out this week. Is cleaning this clutch the same as a tra? Thumbdoctor, thanks again for the offer, and ill definatly pm you if anything comes up. Thanks for the replys and help.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Ill take them off and clean them out this week. Is cleaning this clutch the same as a tra? Thumbdoctor, thanks again for the offer, and ill definatly pm you if anything comes up. Thanks for the replys and help.[/b]
The primary clutch (engine pulley) is a TRA (total range adjustable) on your sled. The entire package (clutches and belt) is call Formula type.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts