Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in a little while, but I've got a problem that even the tech guys at my dealership cant figure out. My 04 renegade 800ho has been pulling the nylon cord out of every belt i've put on it since it was brand new. the belts aren't burnt. no swirls marks or burns. the belts dont break up or chip. but if i dont catch it, and change it out in time, it ends up looking like someone shaved a sheep under my hood, and my belt is nothing but a ball of fuzz. And at close to 150 bucks a shot, it gets pretty costly. i know theres alot of smart people on this site, with alot of experience in these types of problems. hopefully someone can give me an idea whats going on.

oh and the only thing skidoo did to try and fix this was checkin my clutch allignment. never seemed to cure anything......maybe just slow the process down.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing I can think of that they neglected to check is the twist of the belt??? The engien/jackshaft can be parralel, but ig they are at different angles, then the belt will twist, possibly popping cords out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in a little while, but I've got a problem that even the tech guys at my dealership cant figure out. My 04 renegade 800ho has been pulling the nylon cord out of every belt i've put on it since it was brand new. the belts aren't burnt. no swirls marks or burns. the belts dont break up or chip. but if i dont catch it, and change it out in time, it ends up looking like someone shaved a sheep under my hood, and my belt is nothing but a ball of fuzz. And at close to 150 bucks a shot, it gets pretty costly. i know theres alot of smart people on this site, with alot of experience in these types of problems. hopefully someone can give me an idea whats going on.

oh and the only thing skidoo did to try and fix this was checkin my clutch allignment. never seemed to cure anything......maybe just slow the process down.
Thanks for your time.[/b]
could be belt disintegration, check belt Id number, excessive belt speed, wrong belt, Check pulley halves are clean, oil on pulley surfaces, clean with fine emert cloth wipe clean with loctite safety solvent, crash Dummy

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
2 things I have found is 1 bad alignment or 2 to much spring in the secondary.
You have an 04, if it has a purple spring you might want to try a green one.
Of course the other varibles are "clutch kits" that dont work and why are you paying so much for a belt??
If Doo is getting that for a belt then I would tell them to shove'em! You can buy 2 HPX dayco's for that and money left over with a 1 year warrenty and they last longer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only belts i've ever used are the original belt that my sled called for. i can't remember the number. i've never put an aftermarket belt on this sled, the last time i put a dayco belt on my 99 670ho it snapped and split the #### outta my belly pan. i know my dealer said it was an allignment problem, but the last time they had my sled in the shop and re-alligned my clutches, it never made any difference at all. is there anyway i can check the allignment myself? i keep em clean too. rub em lightly with a super fine steel wool and then clean em up with acetone. thats what skidoo recommended i do on a regular basis. and about the spring in the secondary. changing to a green spring, well that change anything performance wise? i've always been afraid of screwin with my clutches, lol. but my warranty is up so i'm eager to try a few new mods. any recommendations.

thanks for your help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts