Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
I've used both Skidoo and dayco and have no complaint on performance. Dayco is 30 cdn cheaper thought.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I've used Ski-Doo belts and this year am using a Dayco UII..no complaints so far. Doo is cheaper than Dayco in Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I will stick with the Bombardier belts.I am a believer in using OEM parts on most everything.Aftermarket products are just copys of the original.Being a mechanic,I have seen alot of defective aftermarket parts.I know companies put much R and D into thier products before they hit the aftermarket and thier is good quality stuff out there.But thats the way I am.I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had much better luck with Doo top cog belts this year  I had bad luck with the Dayco ultimax that I used last year. :angry:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was getting good life from gates extreme but loosing top end.  My mechanic claimed that it's because for the CK-3 chassis, doo had changed the specifications 3 times for the length of the belt.  To cut costs, gates makes a belt that will work with all CK-3's where ski-doo has the belt made for the specific year.  I went back to a Doo belt for my 99 and got my top end back

·
Registered
372 Posts
I purchased a dayco belt for a spare and when it came time I needed it the piece of #### blew up 15 min after I put it on.  I stick with the oem.  I haven't had any bad luck with them ever.  just my 2 cents. ???

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yeah I used aftermarket a few years ago, and had the same thing. I stick OEM now. Interesting also, I went with the #127 for mine  on a recomendation, and it works alot nicer than the #067.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I use the #127 it last fine if everything is aligned.  I believe that the #067 will last a little longer due to being a harder compound but one thing is for sure that #067 WILL take 5mph off top end. For the naysayers out there take the same machine and radar it with the two different belts.You will see!!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
OEM for sure,  I am a firm believer of this, simply by testing other belts.  The OEM belts were more expensive, but the right length, and biggest gains.  The Dayco Ultimax 2 is a good trail belt, but not good for racing.

·
Registered
980 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (speed is everything @ Jan. 18 2002, 1:55pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">belleville what was it that you didnt like about the 067 belt compared to the 127. i run the 127 belt myself but have heard some using the harder belt the 067.[/b][/quote]
It wasn't that I didn't like it, just that the 127 was recomended by someone else so I tried it and liked it better than the 067. The 127 fells like a much "grippier " belt.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Every sled setup is different, I rarely use OEM belts because I am an aftermarket dealer. But I stock both dayco & gates extreme belts. I wouldn't put a goodyear on my lawnmower tho. Some setups like the softer dayco better, some like the hard extreme better. (my mxz900 destroys daycos)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have always been a strong beleiver of OEM belts. I recently read an article on belts and it said that companys like DOO and cat pattent the angle and length of their belts, with that pattent in place aftermarket companys have to make a slight change to the belt therefore the taper or the lenght will slightly vary. Example I just bought a '95 ZR580 for resale, to keep the cost down i bought an aftermarket belt. The belt would smoke loading it on the trailer. I double checked the part #'s it was the right one. The factory arctic cat belt was 1/2 inch shorter! Also look up a 1991 Pig-o-larisindy 500 it takes the same belt as a old John Deere, Do you think the clutch taber and center to center are exactly the same on these to sleds? I think most people buy the aftermarkets to save money, I have. My advice would be to only use one as a back up belt.                        Thats my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
OEM For sure

·
Registered
886 Posts
I prefer OEM from a purely psychological standpoint, but have used Gates with good results too.  The only problem with the OEM AC belts I've had is knocking off some of the cogs on the inside of the belt.  This has happened twice while towing a buddies sled and once for no apparent reason.

But now here's the real question we haven't addressed yet - who makes the belts for the OEMs?  As far as I know none of them have their own rubber plants.  I'll bet that they each use one of the aftermarket companys as a supplier, built to their spec of course, but it's still the aftermarket supplier's technology and manufacturing process.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I run  an 067 OEM belt. No problems with it so far. The belts seem to come with that first cord halfway out already though, or maybe just mine.
                  Ryan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts