Snowmobile World banner

Best All-around Studs--'95 Gt 580?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rotax800 
#1 ·
Best All-Around Studs--'95 GT 580

Hey all,

I've been away forever, I know.

But I have a question: I would like the opinions of those with similar vintage and model sleds, on what is the best stud for all-around use, with the emphasis being on control and stopping, vs. hole shots.

I snowmobile on the frozen St. Lawrence River, but virtually everyone I would ride with has studs. I don't want to be "the new guy who rear ended" somebody who stopped using studs.

My sled has the stock track on it—in fact, it is 100% stock.

I read that studs cut the stopping distance by six (6!) times--the test results I read actually gave the following stats:

Stopping distance from 60 mph, on ice, with studs: 300'
Stopping distance from 60 mph, on ice, without studs: 1,800'

Yikes!

So, in your opinions, which is the best brand?

The best type?

The best length?

I'm more concerned with longevity and ease of installation than I am appearance or cost.

I have been told that Woody's makes some of the best studs--is that so, and if so, is there a "premium" model, within Woody's lineup?

How is Woody's product support or "tech line"? IS there a tech line available to help?

I have been told that, in my unmodified sled, I should install no more than 96 studs, "up the middle." Is this the general consensus? I've been told that installing studs out on the edges of the track can lead to early track failure.

I also understand that I will need to add "tunnel protectors" to protect the heat exchangers. Are these generally supplied by the stud companies, and are they correct for the applications they are intended for?

Thanks for all of your help.

Peter/Blue2-dooGT

See less See more
#2 ·
You will need tunnel protectors, you can get them from a dealer or aftermarket. Less chances of ripping studs out running them down the middle. You can have a bigger footprint of studs if you run on the outside & that will help stopping. Myself & I notice most sleds run down the middle. I would try running down the middle & ride your sled. If you are still not happy then you can add studs to the outside. The big thing with ripping out studs is low snow conditions. Take it easy in these conditions, try not to spin your track. As for studs there is so many good studs out there. I run fastrac studs & they are great. I bent a few last year because I hit a rock hard (low snow condition) I run lakes alot, race & radar runs & never bent a stud.
You are running a 95 GT then 96 studs should be perfect.
Check out Woodys & Studboy web sites. You can see the stud & patterns :D

#3 ·
rotax800:

Hey, thank you for your prompt response!

And please allow me to appologize for my absence--I never know when I'll be out of town, until the last minute, and when I'm away, I don't have web access.

I especially appreciate your advice about the need to be extra careful when in low-snow conditions. That makes sense but is perhaps not something that I would have thought of, "in the moment," as I find low snow conditions stressful to begin with. I will endeavor to be mindful of this, when riding with studs.

Can I rely on the stud companies to advise me correctly re: stud length? More to the point--is there a rule of thumb about stud length (in relation to tread depth on the track), so that I might know if the stud companies are correct in their recommendations?

I have not yet had the chance to check out these companies you mention, but I will soon.

Thanks again!

Peter

You will need tunnel protectors, you can get them from a dealer or aftermarket. Less chances of ripping studs out running them down the middle. You can have a bigger footprint of studs if you run on the outside & that will help stopping. Myself & I notice most sleds run down the middle. I would try running down the middle & ride your sled. If you are still not happy then you can add studs to the outside. The big thing with ripping out studs is low snow conditions. Take it easy in these conditions, try not to spin your track. As for studs there is so many good studs out there. I run fastrac studs & they are great. I bent a few last year because I hit a rock hard (low snow condition) I run lakes alot, race & radar runs & never bent a stud.
You are running a 95 GT then 96 studs should be perfect.
Check out Woodys & Studboy web sites. You can see the stud & patterns :D[/b]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.