Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Arctic Cat Powder extreme 600 triple and want to cut some weight. how can I do this either free or cheap? hanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'd check around but there should be some weight loss available in the pipes with the tripple. The 97 would still have the old material hood which is even heavier then the new ones so there would be a significant weight loss in a mesh or lexan hood. Ditch your extra wheels in the skid for ice scratchers. Otherwise look for anything uneeded and take it off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd check around but there should be some weight loss available in the pipes with the tripple. The 97 would still have the old material hood which is even heavier then the new ones so there would be a significant weight loss in a mesh or lexan hood. Ditch your extra wheels in the skid for ice scratchers. Otherwise look for anything uneeded and take it off.[/b]
what are ice scratchers exactly? and how much are most of these things? this is my first sled.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
diet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take out the sway bar, port the track, remove 2/3 of the track clips. All this should gain (lose actually) you a few pounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I was wondering about the 4 wheels in the back of the track I have heard of kist so you could have 3 or 2 whels is that better or worse than 4? and what about ice scratchers what are they?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ice scratchers are thin spring steel devices that attach to the slide rail (toward the front) and have a sharp pick edge that digs into the hardpack and pops small chunks of ice/snow up so they flip onto the track. They are designed to help out when conditions make it hard for picking up snow in the track for cooling.

An example -

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=100

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
www.mountainmachines.com MMP makes two wheel kits for most sleds. I run one personally I think the biggest savings is it helps with snow evacuation from the skid just like porting a track does(drilling 2-4 usually 1.25" holes per row). Some say it makes the sled easy to sidehill I can't really say it does or doesn't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Exhaust, hood, port track, 18-20 pounds right there. not all the cheapest options, but no one has ever said that sledin' is a cheap addiction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts