Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best mod ever, and best of all, it's free. I finally got around to wrapping a rubber band around my kill switch, and I'm so glad I did. I must have hit that kill switch a dozen times by mistake over the last few weeks. Well, no more. I have to hit it and hold it now to shut the machine down. Why did I never do this before?

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
LOL, you must ride more aggresive than I, don't think I've ever done that. Of course the son say I ride like an old man :rolleyes:

·
Registered
657 Posts
... my old man rides harder than I do... ha ha! lol. Ahem... I've never hit the kill switch by accident, that depends on the angle of the switch. Mine is stuck up in the air, which means the trottle is a bit harder to squeeze, but because of it I've never hit the switch by accident. My only concern for you though, is that you'll need that switch to work, and it won't because there's an elastic stopping it from working right :dazed:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only concern for you though, is that you'll need that switch to work, and it won't because there's an elastic stopping it from working right :dazed:[/b]
The switch still works, you just have to hold it now rather than just touch it. And my other option was to disconnect it, so the rubber band is a better option.

I mostly hit it by mistake now because there's no centre grab bar, or if I'm going slow and leaning on the bars. But I have done it in the past on my SKS after hitting a really big bump. Catches you by surprise.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The switch still works, you just have to hold it now rather than just touch it. And my other option was to disconnect it, so the rubber band is a better option.

I mostly hit it by mistake now because there's no centre grab bar, or if I'm going slow and leaning on the bars. But I have done it in the past on my SKS after hitting a really big bump. Catches you by surprise.[/b]

Good idea NewfieBullet, so i guess it performs like motocross switch now. If im getting this right. What kinda of rubber band did you use, like the thick brocolli ones or a thin one to fit underneath the edge of the switch.

·
Registered
657 Posts

I mostly hit it by mistake now because there's no centre grab bar, or if I'm going slow and leaning on the bars. But I have done it in the past on my SKS after hitting a really big bump. Catches you by surprise.[/b]
Funny thought on that (ha ha, I'm thinking to loud to type... c'mon get it out...) my brother, as I've said, hits his kill switch every now and then for no good reason (usually sliding side to side to stir up snow in my face, lol) and just last week he hit it again, by accident. He then found that that as long as your moving, your clutch is still engaged. He pulled up on the kill switch, and she started right back up again (much like jump starting a standard). Away he went. I wondered why all of a sudden he stopped so fast I had to tap the break, lol. I dunno, I thought that was funny.

I've seen the kill switch work by a sled being rolled. It got hit, and shut the engine down. If you happened to roll your machine in the snow, the snow might not be enough to stop the engine. And you may not be on it when it's up-side down and still trying to run. It is better than disconnecting the kill switch altogether, though. :)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea NewfieBullet, so i guess it performs like motocross switch now. If im getting this right. What kinda of rubber band did you use, like the thick brocolli ones or a thin one to fit underneath the edge of the switch.[/b]
Exactly like a motorcross kill switch.
I used one similar to a brocolli elastic band. Wrapped it around a few times. You can change how hard it is to shut off by how many times you wrap the band around the switch. Takes a little while to fine tune the balance between being easy to shut down, without being too easy, but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My wife hit hers FOUR times on our last ride and she can't start the sled by herself most times... I'm going to try this rubber band mod.. Funny thing is, each time she has no clue what happened.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did that on the old Artic cats all the time! Have never had that problem with the Phazer though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We have used rubber bands from the Broccoli ever since that terrible day. One of those bands would have saved me thousands of dollars and a lot of embarassment.

As the story goes:

I accidentally hit the kill switch with my arm after hitting a bump that I didn't see just prior to a small open stretch of water. I was able to pull up on the kill switch but it was too late. I dropped one side of the sled in about 2 feet of water and luckily my buddy was there to help lift it out. I ended up bending a piston arm. We thought all the water was out of the engine, evidently not.

The moral of the story - use a rubber......... band that is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best mod ever, and best of all, it's free. I finally got around to wrapping a rubber band around my kill switch, and I'm so glad I did. I must have hit that kill switch a dozen times by mistake over the last few weeks. Well, no more. I have to hit it and hold it now to shut the machine down. Why did I never do this before?[/b]
If you actually remove the switch from the throttle housing and pop the bottom plate off of it, there are two small ball bearings in there. Let the ball bearings fall out and put the cover back on and reinstall the switch. Now you have a switch that pops up on its own and doesn't have a silly elastic wrapped around it

·
Registered
644 Posts
At first I thought your really dumb idea was......DUMB. Then I realized that it probably doesn't matter..........................................

..............................................as long as you always carry a backboard and have a body cast awaiting your arrival at home. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, you must ride CRAZY!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
some of you are forgetting that the theter cord will stop the sled if he falls off. well as long as it is attached to him.

good idea newf, i hit mine a few times as well but it will also help stop the my riding buddies from playing the little game off shutting off your sled going down the trail.

so from now on i will attach my cord to me (as i never do) and install the rubber band.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dang, Newfiebullet, turns out you're a freakin' genious after all! :) Sometimes the bizarre ideas are the ones the better mankind the most. I must ride different though... I've never hit the kill switch by accident. 2,400 miles and counting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts