Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has any experiance with the o1 700 x let me know what the best mods would be? It is bone stock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am told it is in the clutching.  One fellow I know is running CF1 ramps with heavy pins and he is kicking butt with this set-up.  Unfortunately I don't know the rest of his set-up (springs, helix,...) as he is keeping info closely guarded.  I have also heard good things about 287 ramps for this sled.  Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
RK Tek head then clutch it. All sleds are different so a "clutch kit" is a misnomer. It is dependent on rider weight, suspension setup, riding conditions, etc. Leave the stock pipe on it. So far the twins are a PITA. I'm told Decker will have a set out this year and I'll try them as soon as I can get them.

Good luck, ronzx9.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have a stock sled and a piped one(crank shops twins),the piped one is 9 hp more than the single.I would not want to ride the piped sled for hours though,just my opinion that it is to loud for trail riding.I do not know why guys keep saying the twins dont work good with pipes mine makes more hp on the dyno that is no b.s.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dooman do you have any mods to the stock sled clutch work? Is it worth spending the moeny to mod this sled? I would usually keep it stock but i rode an 800 last year and i am jsut affraid i am gonna be disapointed with the 700.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How about an 1.25 track or a whack of studs to get it to hook up.No sense adding HP if your just going to spin.

·
4,440 Posts
I would do some clutch work on the sled and add the 1.187 lug camo challenger(my choice) or the 1.25 track of your choice.if you run the deep lug track I would run 96-120 studs down the middle only.the piped 700(w/250lbs rider) will run with my stock sled and me at only 175 lbs.about dead even till topend then the piped sled inches away (a benefit of the 200 extra rpm it has).the sleds have boyeson reeds and are jetted ,for my liking,other than that only differance is pipes.you will stay closer to the 800 twins than you think,if they spin you'll win.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dooman, The pipes may make more power on the dyno but I ran a crankshop piped 700 last year with my single piped, ported and RK Tek 700. I gave him 6 sleds and passed him within 1000' and kept on going. We also ran on a 3+ mile lake in Quebec and there was no contest, he lost by a bunch. He also got way less MPG then I did. You guys can check with TT670 about pipes. He made more power on the dyno but lost in the real world. I would spend my $ elsewhere. JMO, ronzx9

·
4,440 Posts
if you are not winning the race and you are making more power,you are not tuned just right yet.I took my twin piped sled and ran with a dynoport single piped,ported, running real close to burn down (this particular sled ,mxz 700,has egt's so its close to the edge). these sleds ran so close it was about dead even.raced a couple times and got beat and also won.we will be racing this winter in the feilds near zmachmans I will be there a couple times for all to show me their snowflap,or maybe we could meet around cadillac ,Irons area somewhere and do some racing as well.one thing for sure I will have both sleds with me everytime I come up, just in case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dooman,

Max power does not always win because the area under the torque curve is just as important. A sled that makes more peak power with a very narrow powerband is a bear to clutch, ie race motor. Clutch efficiency also drops off with rpm's. I can clutch my sled to 7500 rpm's for max torque and allow it to climb to 7700 max hp. I would imagin you are clutched to 8200-8400 or so with the twins.

How far are you guys from Detroit? I would like to come up sometime this winter for a little good-natured racing. I'm about 3 hours from Detroit. Do you guys ever run during the week? I only get two weekends a month off but I have 7 days in a row off which would be an easy time to come visit.

Later, Ron.

·
4,440 Posts
we usually get together and race the fields near zmachmans place,elmira/alba area,which is west of gaylord.I have land in Irons, no cabin yet, but I still ride the area more than anywhere else.you would be more than welcome to come and race .we only run for fun anyhow.as you may well have seen we will be getting together at Idooskis place sept 14 for a bbq and you are welcome to attend.this will get you familiar with the drive for winter.I live in central In and drive 5-6 hours to Irons(in winter) more like 7-8 to alba.I said more power ,not just HP .torque is just as important.I have not got the dyno sheet in front of me but I am pretty sure torque was up a couple points as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dooman, Thanks for the invite. I have to cook steaks for our Horseshoe banquet on the 14th. We are pretty booked through October at our bowling center but after that things open up. We will get together this winter. My wife and I visited Gaylord a couple of years ago but the trails were trashed because of rain. Ended up going to the UP. Lets hope for early snow!!!!!

Later, Ronzx9.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I did 2 2000 mxz 700's, ported , twin pipes, reeds both made over 140HP and 90+ ft lbs of torque and neither was quicker than stock. Myself and a couple of the BEST sled tuners in our area had their hands in the clutches trying to figure it out and it flat didnt work! Get em on a lake where youve got more than 1/2 mile  then Id say look out, the piped sleds come on strong!! Fact is they just can build enough heat in the pipes to make a suitable trail sled, we tried smaller stinger diameter,larger stinger diameter, wrapping the pipes, leaning the jetting to the basement, raised compression.. etc we did it all. Ended up with an RKT head on the ported cyls using the stock pipes and the sleds were rockets. Tb2 has an unported  mxz700 with the oem pipe with nearly 10,000 miles on it that will swat mxz 800's with ease at over 110 mph, I know cause I was doing over 110 on my 800 when he flat blew by me!! And I was running #### near dead even with a twin piped mxz 8 at the time.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
TT670 or should I say Hi Eirik!   Good to see you on this site.  Eirik and I along with tb2 do a lot of testing and tuning.   I also have spoken with ronzx9 about the series 3 motors.  Zmachman and I have spent more time testing and tuning these motors than most people have miles last year.   Ask these guys, they know what they are talking about.   I have also had numerous conversations with Damon, from GLHRACING, and believe me I have had first had experience with these motors and clutching.   Don't forget to ask MXZWFO my friend the doo dealer about spending time in my garage putting new pistons and rings in my sled to get it running again.  Now that the interductions are over with, let me tell you that the crankshop pipes and clutching suck.  Twin pipes will not work on the 700 on any given day.  Sometimes they run well, other times they do not.  They are very tempermental to temperature.   Keep the series 3 motors stock, and clutch them.   You will be a lot happier.   I was the one that dooman was referring to in the potato fields up north, and ran with my own clutching and the dynoport pipe.  I just don't remember seeing anyone ahead of me except for Zmachman's 700 triple.  I burnt the moly off my rings, and yes, I only had 90 lbs. of compression on both sides and the motor quit, and couldn't get it started again.  I found out that I was jetted just a little too lean that day, and should have ran 290 jets rather than 280's.   However, dooman's piped crankshop sled ran real well, but they will not run the same everytime.  I know, I ran them, (crankshop).   TT670 and I have talked about these sleds a lot, and let me tell you, stick with the stock single pipe.   I only know of two sleds that run well with the Crankshop twins, Zmachman's buddy Chuck, and Dooman.  My friend Spence will also tell you that the series 3 motors for the most part, do not like twin pipes.   I know Spence and I spent numerous hours testing and tuning. If you guys want to run twin pipes please do so, but please don't try to tell me that they work well.  I have my own opinion, as well as others.   I think I can honestly say, that Spence, MXZWFO, Idooski, TT670, tb2, Zmachman, Chuck Walter,(great Ski-Doo racer and tuner)  ronzx9, and myself all agree with the above statement.  If not please accept my apology, but don't waste your money.  Piece out.   By the way Barry, please don't my comments personally, and I will probably see you at the BBQ to buy you a Mountain Dew, but don't line up against ronzx9's sled, trust me on this one. Piece out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
2002mxzx, to get back to your question, the 2001 MXZ 700 likes stock ramps, 200/280, Goodwin Green spring, stock pin weight, clicker 4 or 5, and use the stock secondary spring at 19-20 lbs, with a Black Ice 44 Helix.   This setup runs very well. Don't forget to test and tune!   Also, you might want to add a 1 1/4 paddle track.  Good luck.

·
4,440 Posts
Dave ,the only comment I took personally was the one where you will not admit to getting beat.I know one race I beat you for sure and by then I was on my stock sled,lol, the burn down.I know the twins do not make good trail pipes I think I have said this before ,however saying they do not work is not correct I have proven this wrong and you say Chuck has too.anyone that can beat me is ok in my book because I donot live for that alone,if I did I would have an 809 zx to show off this winter.one thing you might mention also I am stock except pipes and tuning that is it,no porting ,no compression increase nothing,and I know as well as others that you did get beat
,for that matter I beat a couple sleds that day maybe just 'cause I was studded and you were not ,but it does not matter.
.I did say you were close to the edge I just did not say how close,by the way blacky is still running I did not burn it down to try and win them all

·
4,440 Posts
it just hit me the guys claiming to hate the twins so much have ported sleds,hmmm.maybe their porting is what is causing the problem with the sleds not responding to the pipes.I don't know ,but it is something to think about.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just for reference my 700 was dynoed before and after the porting. It made 122 HP @7600 bone stock, 126 @8100 Hp with just the pipes, and 141 @8300 with porting, pipes, reeds and a head modification.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What many of you are finding out is that performance is only as good as the tuner.  I am not knocking anybody as I have troubles myself.  In the hands of the right people twin pipes will work.  I have to agree somewhat with everybody elso in that twin pipes can be a little more finicky on the 700.  We spent countless hours tuning our 700 with multiple burnt rings.  In the end we found the culprit to be the head.  Our compression is still fairly stout but we had to change some dimensions in the head to cure the problem.  The sled now has about 2500 miles with zero problems and it is strong.  I never had a chance to run it against ron's 700 when I was tuning that, Kinda glad.  Ron spent far less money and had a stable machine.  The bottom line is if you want more power from the 700 PORTING is the key.  The single pipe makes great power and the pipe is not restrictive.  Open the carbs a little and work on the barrel and head and you will be happy.  The next step is clutching and all the above mentioned people are acomplished tuners.  The 700 is a great motor and a joy to clutch.  Wait till you guys see the REV 600 HO!!!  What a dream.

GLH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts