Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
As far as drivetrain goes I would say that clutching would be the first thing. You can modify all you want but if the clutch isnt adjusted for it then its not going to give you all it can do. As far as engine goes I dont know alot but I do know this from racing cars. Exhaust is great but if you havent put an intake in that can suck in more air then your not outputting more air. So change intake first. Then you can start picking out your exhaust. I think K&N makes the best for sleds but I could be wrong. A shop that does sled performance can usually tell you the best setup.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to do.  I would normally say clutching, but if you don't have the traction you won't do anything.

It also depends on the sled.  Some sleds are better than others when it comes to clutching and carboration

·
Registered
858 Posts
For me it's suspension because of my weight (230) and ridding style. In moguls, I bottomed out a friends formula 583 12 times in 30 sec. so i prefer having a sled to ride with than a fast sled that doesn't last long. Thats why I've put some 380 pound springs and ETS on my mxz. I'd say tuning the carb is next, can't do much if the jets are too fat, specially in stock sleds. But all out mods are probably the way to go if you have money  

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I stud,clutch and tune pretty much all in the same group.Stud em and clutch em then haul em too the lake for some tuning.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
stud, woodys is there another.lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would have to say motor mods. Porting, shaving the head, pipes, bigger carbs(or boring), and reeds.  Once that is done you have to clutch and tune the carbs anyway.
The conditions I ride and race in are not very good with studs(except in the spring when it freeze's and thaws), so I just tune the susp. and use a 2" paddle track cut down to 1.5", work good for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
First thing is traction ! you can have all the power in the world ...but if you don't have traction you have nothing , 2nd Exhaust you can add an easy 10hp for fun ! 3rd Jetting lot of sleds aren't jetted right from the factory and when your doing that ya could upgrade your Reeds , Then you got to clutch it to dial it all in  :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Go with the rubberband principle, the tighter you wind the thing the more sting it gives off................hence thats where the clutch comes in for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One item not listed is skis! And skis are not consider cosmetic!  The OEM skis are usually not very aggressive and after the first ride of a new sled I will try them then switch over to aftermarket.  The exception this year may be ski-doo's precision dual runner skis.

If we are talking new out of the crate I would not touch the motor until it is broken in.  I wouldn't do anything to the clutching until after the break in period to see how it responds.  Studs I would not add until the track has been good and stretched.  So the skis would still be the first item to be changed.  A good set of skis will change the whole feel of the way you perceive your sled's handling.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Man its amazing how many different suggestions people have. I am all for the studding first. You can have all the power, but with no hook up you are back to square one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That question is like asking "what's gonna make her look better, a [email protected]#b job, a*^ lift, tummy tuck, face lift, ect.?

1st- what are ya starting with?
2nd- what do you like?

or doe like I do, let some one else spend the time & money on the accesories & then get it second hand (I'm talking about sleds? arent I?)

personaly I leen towards pipes (big twin pipes)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Studs, ya have to get that power to the ground or ya ain't goin nowhere. Ya could get a good job diggin trenches though

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The first thing I do is set the sled up properly.   I adjust the suspension and track so that is there is hardly any friction at all.  Loosen the track, check the belt deflection, align the clutches, clean and calibrate the carbs, check the float bowls, adjust the idle, align the skis, align the hood, and add synthetic grease high and low temp to all the wheel bearings, and grease all the zerks.   Then I ride it and get used to it, let the motor break in and clutch it.  This would be all the first year of riding.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You should actually do both the clutching and studding at the same time. One is really no good without the other.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts