Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been talking to alot of people around here and they say wait a few months to pick up asled because the price drops during the off season?

is that true because isn't that mostly when everyones looking ...

just wondering when would be the best time to purchase my sled :D..

fricken excited for it too!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If you're looking to buy a new or used sled from a dealer then April/May is the window you want to hit. You can save them from carrying the debt load of the summer, meaning that they should have room to move on the price. Every month that passes means they've spent more in interest, and they're getting closer to the time when they are most likely to sell (Oct-Dec) so they are less and less likely to discount.

Even heading into March is not bad, so start looking now, and you'll know what's out there.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if you are not buying new right know is insane for buying. so many people selling after this crappy winter the market is so cheap. ive seen 06 sled with less then 1000 miles go for under 4000. im talking like rev with x packages, M7, Fusion 600, a few IQ 600 (those people are stupid to sell an 07 sled for that) people just want to get rid of them

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I bought my Gade 800 pt April 1st,2006 and paid $5800.00 only 800 miles!
She is closing in on the 3000 mile mark now! :thumbsup: She's been a great SLeD!

Also bought a NEW 2002 Mxz800 standard in April of 03 and paid $5685.00 OTD
I say stay with April to make your purchase And make sure a 5 is the
1st number in the price of your new or slightly used SLeD
Good luck.....Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now is the time to buy used!! I just bought a 96' Mach Z 800..Brand new track, brand new 144 stud job. The machine had 3400km not a mark on the hood or seat basically mint mint cond. I picked it up for $1400 Can.
The winter seasons have just put tons of pressure on the market..its definitely a buyers market right now.
Also this past december I purchased a 93' Mach 1 670 for $1000 Can. This was a double up seat also a 96 stud job. runs perfect.
Get on autotrader and look around..be patient and you will find what you want!
Cheers

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some dealers are jokes these days. I dont know ALOT about sleds but I know enough and I happend to take your guys advice and go out to a dealer today..

they had a 2002 Polaris 700xc sp edge in stock. .BEAUTIFUL sled.. looked amazing had 3400miles..
was looking like good condition but the track had 240 studs she said.. Looked like a 192 pattern to me and they were all rusted and ####.. track looked beat up..

so im thinking either then that not bad lookin sled no scratches tears so its still moderatly good.. asked her what there price was on it. 5900. I snickered.. and said is that a joke.. so she said ohh right bout this time we cound drop it down to 5000. im like lady this track is about to go.. so thats about 500-600 bucks right there and you want me to buy that for 5000.. I just laughed.. some dealers are just terrible around here.. beginner sledders dont get a break haha exspecially ones that are buying it them selves

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.. checked out trader.ca from 0 - $5000 and I can say there are tooo many die hard to die for sleds to choose from with low miles..

its like a clearance sale..

2003/2004 year sleds selling for 4800 with 1600-2100 miles.. its amazing.. whata year to want to buy my first sled

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
You're probably right about the dealerships. I don't know if you meant new or used but now is definitely a good time to buy used. In the past I've found that for private party sales May and especially June and July people are really trying to get rid of their sled. They may have been trying to get a good price for it all winter and now they just want it gone. Right now is a good time to buy used from a dealer because the reality of the market is new sleds are being deeply discounted and the value of every used sled lowers in turn. Private sellers don't always realize or want to admit that their sled is worth half what they think it's worth. The dealers know full well the current market conditions, but they also still need to make money. The best scenario is you find a private seller who understands the realistic price of their sled in todays market and needs the cash. I still wouldn't go to a dealer, I'd just be diligent with the classifieds and craigslist, but that's just a personal philosophy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Right now is a good time to start looking as the winter ends more people will start thinking about dumping there sleds, and with the new sleds being revealed ..I would say the middle of March is going to be the best time to look for a used sled, there will be a lot of guys advertising then and with more advertising lower prices......It would be nice to buy in March so you can take it for a ride and get a feel for it before buying it ....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where in Ontario are you? St Onge Recreation is always a great place to go for sleds. I trust them 100 percent and they stand by their used products as well.
The one downfall - they have fast turnover for used sleds, so if you see one - buy it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would say the same: March month. Ya get to ride the thing instead of buying it after the snow is gone and waiting 9 months before you get your first ride on it. However, it will probably end up meaning not getting as good a deal as if you waited until April, but then there could be something wrong with it and you wouldn't even know until the next season.

I see the majority of talk is for Bombardier? I know LAST YEAR was the year to buy Polaris. They had that many '05 models left over, you could practically buy any sled on the floor for upwards of $3,000 off the original asking price in '05. At least, that's what I did. Right now there are still some '06 models left over, but they're still asking way too much in comparison to the deals they had when they tried to sell their '05 models off. It seems '05 was a bad year for Polaris. Too much over-stock. Now they're back on track, and just as expensive as the other guys in some areas.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Keep in mind that the US prices are considerably lower than the Can. prices.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
In April of 2006 we put money down on our sleds at the dealership. We got 2 05 leftovers that did not sell. Brand New off the showroom floor 5,700 a piece out the door.( 05 500ss.) Picked them up in June but felt we made the best deal we could in the month of April. I would have to say late winter/early spring is a good time to deal with the dealers.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you're looking for current model year new, this is the best time. If you don't mind buying a year or more leftover, then good deals can be had at the fall shows, especially if the dealer brought the sleds to the show. They'd rather those sleds go home on someone else's trailer instead of their own. Then you always have certain dealers that seem to buy a large quantity of 3-4 year old leftover sleds from the manufacturer or distributor....this can be done at any time, so you just have to keep checking their inventories. I know of two Cat dealers that do this at least a couple times a year, and the prices they sell these sleds at are unbelievable. If you're looking at used, I find that the end of the season (or summer) is the best time. A few summers ago I found a sled on ebay that I was looking for, for my wife, with 180 miles. His opening bid was $5000, which was a fair retail price, if there was snow on the ground. But this was the middle of summer with 90* temps. I watched the sled, no one bid on it, and I ended up buying it for $3700 because the guy was going through a divorce and selling his toys.

·
Registered
252 Posts
yes trailblazer is 100% correct.the cheap prices alot are talking about are u.s prices.add another 2500 bucks to that and then you have a really good deal on a,04/05/06 model.but there is still 93's and 94's selling for 2500 in the traders. hell i'm asking 2800 for 2 polaris's 1 is an xlt 600 and the other is a 500 both sleds in mint condition,and i can't sell them.the market is flooded up here big time.i even tried 3000 for both sleds and a double trailer no bites so you just wait.sleds are going to be so cheap it isn't funny here in ontario.if i don't sell mine for the price thier at now i will just stick them in a barn and wait for things to change.but alot of guys are really sick of the weather.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
June and July is too late to look for a sled. Yes, you might find a good deal, but your choices are so limited and nobody is advertising their sleds.[/b]

Come on now

I bought my 01 ZR 600 2 yrs ago July 6 or 7th for $1800

Its called being at the right place at the right time or going through March Bargain hunters in July :p

best time to buy is late Feb/March IMO

Also in the States the give away sleds

Anyone want a 01 ZR600

New APV cables,1.25 ripsaw,3.5 Oles Riser etc

2500miles on rebuilt with AC pistons

$>>>>>>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts