Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for what you consider the best studs. Going to be trail riding, using a 1in or slightly longer stud.Plastic or alum washers? Looking for these to LAST,I ride alot of Ks. Didn't have real good luck with saber(seemed to wear out quick), thinking Woodys gold digers this time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I put 192 1.075 woodys gold diggers in mine bellevillemxz and after
6000km i only broke 3.No pull outs either.First time i ever used woodys
and i will definately only use these studs from now on.I used the round
aluminum disc washer as well.I had the plastic backers on my last sled
and on my wifes and experienced many stud pull outs and stud loss.
I torgued them correctly as well and still experienced problems.Hope
this helps :) Make sure you use laarger diameter washers with longers
studs as well.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Woody's gold diggers are an excellent choice got 6000+ kms on mine

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
And oh yeah I use aluminum washers I've had to replace a couple (washers) because they sometimes crack

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am replacing mine this year and am going to try the stud boy's. I couldn't pass up the price I got on them. I've used fast-trac the past several years with no problems. No trouble with the plastic backers either. About half the weight of the aluminum. I always had trouble with them cracking or bending. Zero problems with the plastic. Looks like alot of you guys like woodys. I tried them several years ago and the biggest problem with those was that they were always bending. I wasn't happy with the quality for trail riding. ???

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've used Woodys for several years now with no issue and great service life. Be sure to use their newer large diameter round washers. Many vendors claim any old washer will work fine but they seem to always work best when used with their own washers.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Extreme Studs. They are great so far. 1500 miles 1.375's no breakage, no loss of carbide, They have a 2 yr warrenty also. And they're cheap. as low as a buck a stud. They are stainless. Nobody mentioned them yet so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The Key is to stud and torque your machine properly. If you put 92 studs on a Mach Z you can expect bent and pulled studs no matter the company or backer.

Always go a little higher then recommend. For instance they say 92 for a 500, well if your agressive you might want 144. IMHO

In the past ive used only woodys and have had a few bend and one or two pull. But ive had poor snow conditions so I dont blame the stud.

And one other thing is to watch out when going over wood, Such as bridges. This is where studs normally pull.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We used Studboys last year on ladyK's 02 mxz700. We used 144 up the middle. None ripped, tore or bent ,even after 5000+ kliks. Just M2C

Last edited by permafrost at Oct 24 2002, 10:12 AM

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fast Trac Top Gun II with round plastic backers and stainless steel nuts. No problems.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Owning a sled shop I sell studs & talk to a lot of people about their luck with different products. I will never use or recommend a plastic washer, I have removed many. Upon removal you can see the contact patch of the backer, the plastic flexes too much, very small contact patch on the track. To me this means too much sharp flexing of the track cords. Now on to studs. I am a firm believer in Woodys products, Mega bites or gold diggers. I also feel the aluminum backers are the best choice. I stock the square alu. backers in 1000 unit boxes. just my .02

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use nothing but Fast-Trac Top Gun II's with their Air-lite polymer backers and stainless locking nut. Never had any break or pull out.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how much of it is really in the thumb. I tend to roll on the throttle and my friend tends to mat it. We both run woody's on similar machines (SRX and a Mach 1) and he has to replace studs every season where I have never replaced any in 3000 miles and none of mine are even slightly bent or dull. We almost always ride together and he admits I am a much more agressive rider, to me that says I am the one who should be replacing the studs. If you want them to last remember how your riding habits can effect this. Just my 2 cents :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts