Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building a motorcycle with a snowmobile engine.
A bit like the Tul-Aris project. More info about it http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/issue...r00/tularis.htm

But my goal is very different. Cheaper and easier. I want a street bike with a ski-doo sdi engine. I love 2 strokes, but the sdi is the only way to make it street legal, practical and civilized.

Here in Spain we don't have many snowmobiles around, and the ski doo site isn't doesn't give much info. So I'd appreciate some answers to the following questions:

- What are the external dimensions of a 800 cc engine? (without the clutch)
- How much does it weight?
- Where are placed the electric starter, the alternator and the water pump?
- How long or how many km do these engines last? Are they really reliable? What is the main service it needs? I don't want to be all the time working on it as in my old 125 cc 2 stroker.
- How much fuel and oil does it drink?
- Is the sdi supossed to have a fuel pump somewhere in the fuel tank?
- Would there be any problem if the engine worked upside down?
- Would the radiator work well in a motorcycle (warm air going through it, not snow) or should I get another one? If so, what size?

Any help would be great! If you prefer you can e-mail me [email protected] :p

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
That would be a neat bike.

I cant tell you if the engine will be reliable since its brand new however it probably will be. And since its SDI it will probably last longer then other engines.

I dont know the dimentions but its about 1.3 Feet wide and about the same in height if not a little taller.

The engine probably weights between 40 - 60 Lbs.

There is no altenator only a stator which should be good enought for a bike, Plus its internal.

Water pump is also internal.

The electric start is on the front

And i dont think the engine would like to be run upside down.

Thats about as good as i can do. Im not sure about my info but its probably close enought for you the get thinking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Also, stock snowmobiles dont have radiators, they only have heat exchangers. I know some custom sleds run radiators though, so I think you could make it work.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Might I add the starter ring gear is mounted to the sled clutch as far as a rad goes the warm air passes through it as opposed to a sled heat exchanger which the snow just touches it to cool as long as the size is right it will work check out a Yamaha V-max (motorcycle) it has a v-four engine it's rad is not that overly big, as far as the 800cc 'doo motor it's not that new, but the SDI (which is set up for colder temps by the way) IS hope this helps what style of bike you putting this in? And remember keep the rpm's just under 8000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much, guys. This is very useful and good news!

Just some questions:
- Do you know the equivalent in metric for lbs and feet?
- The radiator shouldn't be too difficult. There are plenty I could use.
- I should also build a custom exhaust, but I don't need more performance than standard, so it's ok.
- What's the problem with fitting the engine upside down? Lubing?
- How many km (or miles) do these engines last?

The base bike for this Frankenstein project is a BMW R1100S.
It's confortable and sporty but a bit heavy. It has the best suspensions and ABS brakes around. The gear box is independent from the engine (unlike most bikes), and I hope I can fit in the sdi after doing away with the ugly cylinders, heavy crankshaft, oil pumps, etc and a part of the carter.

I've estimated I could take off 20 kg and improve ground clearance. Also the original engine doesn't rev much more, so the gears will be fine. And I would get 35 hp over the original! And probe to the bike industry that 2 strokes are the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot an important question: what's the price of an engine + electronics? (aprox from this year's engine)
Thanks a lot

Attachments

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
lui5 have you thought of contacting Bombardier? Maybe thay could help you out a bit :)

Last edited by LadyK at Oct 22 2002, 09:49 PM

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah bombardier would help you out. But your going to need a proper set of pipes and silencers. You cant just put a regular exhaust on a 2 stroke. Pipes do a lot for the engine. they control fuel flow and timing in a way.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That would be an interesting project. 1.3 feet equals 0.39624 meters and and 40 - 60 pounds is 18.1436948 kg - 27.2155422 kg. They kept telling us in school that those conversions will have to used!!! A custom pipe will have to be made like everyone else says. Somebody said about the SDI for cold weather, but I thought that Bombadiar uses them on the PWCs!! Just a thought. I would think that lubing would be an issue if the motor was turned upside down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again! Really nice people in this forum, even if they use funny measurement units LOL. :)
In fact I have sent an e-mail to ski-doo, but I'm waiting for them to reply.
I know the importance of pipe design for a two stroke engine. But there are other issues I have to solve first, specially fitting the engine. ???
For the pipes I know some people who could design them. And I think I'll copy the original design of the cones, although adapted to the bike's shapes. I think the original silencers should do fine, after all it has to be street legal. Even if I don't get it 100% right the thing will still work. But if I can't solve the mechanical fit, the electronics and the cooling I won't be able to do anything.
I'm trying to use as many standard parts as possible, to keep costs low.
If everything goes right (surely not, Murphy's Law rules) I'll only have to build custom pipes, a piece to hold the engine to the chassi, and solve some wiring issues.
I still have a lot of analysis to do before getting to work. But until I have technical detailed information I can't do anything serious. Hope ski-doo gives me a hand, but I guess most of the info I need is still confidential, until they release the engine. Everything I'm learning about sleds helps, though.
Any suggestions of things I should take into account?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
http://www.skidoo.com/SkiDoo2003/media/242_e_ph_sdi800_lrg.jpg' border='0' width='400' height='300' alt='user posted image'>

In my opinion you would have no problem getting this engine to work in a bike.

A rad would work good for the engine to keep it cool.

SDI would adjust for temp in warm or cold it doesnt matter.

Your only problem would be mounting the engine to your tranny and getting your tranny to handle the power. Plus getting the pipe.

One advantage with doing it with this engine is that you would have RER reverse.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
However if you were out to set a land speed record.

http://www.skidoo.com/SkiDoo2003/media/242_e_ph_800cctriple_lrg.jpg' border='0' width='400' height='300' alt='user posted image'>

HEHEHE

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by RNM2399@Oct 22 2002, 12:25 PM
Also, stock snowmobiles dont have radiators, they only have heat exchangers. I know some custom sleds run radiators though, so I think you could make it work.
Ryan
Older ones had rad's, Rupp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They answered me from Bombardier. No info. Look at the website. Go to your local dealer (who doesn't have any info either). Polite but not helpful at all.

I guess I'll have to figure it out by myself.

Yes, the SDI should take care by itself of many things, like altitude, jetting, temperature, etc. And the reverse will be nice when manouvring in the city. A funny gadget.

No land speed record, thanks. Just kicking some 4 stroke #####.

The bike should cope ok with the power. BMWs are known for overengineering and reliability.

The problem for fitting is that these engines are longitudinal. So I have to check if the width of the two cyls are narrower than the space between the clutch and the front wheel. Also the clutch goes quite high, that's why I had thought about putting the engine upside down. We'll see.

Does anyone know how much does a twin 800 cost?

Thanks again to all

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
There is no reason you can't mount the engine upside down. as long as the coolant is bled of all air( might be a little more difficult). Look at ultralite aircraft, they mount their powerplants upside down. If you were to look into it you would find they are allmost completely Rotax powered too. Mostly a dual ignition equipped 503 fan cooled. Rotax has quite an extensive line of 2 cycle aircraft power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts