Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Super Heartthrob for a song but it only has one set of weights, the 52.1 gram. Sled is a 1997 Arctic Cat ZR 580 EFI stock clutch with 48.5 gram weights, yellow/green spring in the drive and green spring in the driven. Anyone experienced with this sled/clutch combonation? I am wondering if it is it going to be worth the effort to install the new stuff after hearing how well liked the BM products are? any help would be great... ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nobody can really tell you wether or not you'll like the kit. I recommend trying the weights. The sled will seem to pull harder with the heavier weights in it. You might need a heavier spring in the primary clutch cause by adding the heavier weights it will lower your engagement RPM. The secondary will need a heavier spring if you are unable to pull to your peak RPM. Or you will need to increase the tension on the secondary spring. Your body weight has alot to do with the setup as well. If you are a heavier rider those weights may be too heavy for the sled. If you are lighter they will probably work fine. As far as the Helix in the secondary, Its pretty much trial and error. If you look at sno-cross set-ups helix angles are fairly close together most common I have seen is a 60/54. Most common trail (stock) 55/53. I don't know what heli you have in your sled currently or what came with your kit. Try them both run what you like best.

Everybody has a different approach when it comes to clutching. I have learned alot from playing around with different setups on my sled. What works for one person won't always work for another. Good luck. The performance manuals available the Arctic Cat are a big help i recommend them highly. The 99 manual is still around, thats probably your best bet for your sled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it says that my helix is a 46-37, and BM won't tell you what theirs is...in gear I'm about 200 lbs. ....BTW will i need any special tools for this job other than a clutch puller??? almost forgot...... new drive spring is black/purple and secondary is green

·
Registered
315 Posts
The clutch puller is the only thing you should need. From my understanding they used a different driven clutch on your sled so helix angles are going to be different than the ones i posted earlier. You may want a buddies help when changing that secondary spring as it will take some force to overcome the spring tension. I don't have much experience with that secondary clutch style you have but here is a link that shows the breakdown of it.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SN...RIVENCLUTCH.htm

Your weight with those clutch weights you got in the kit should be ok. Try the helix they gave you in the kit.

I use both black magic and D&D on my sled. I think the super shifter weights from black magic are awsome. I like D&D's teal primary spring. They both make good quality parts in my opinion. Like Black Magic, D&D keeps their helix angles a secret. Its kinda a pain when you want to change the angle and don't know where to start. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the input....I'll guess I'll give it a shot.....isn't that website awesome...I've used it extensively to research assemblies and to figure out what part i need so I can just walk into my dealer and say i need Part #.....makes it alot easier to see it myself than to depend on them ...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Makes alot of sense to look for what you need before hand. You'll do some playing around to get the combination you like for your clutching. Generally the kits are close to a good all around set-up with more acceleration and backshifting than stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BLACK MAGIC MOTORS SPORTS RULES, Hey just becarful and make sure your chain tensioner and your chain are in good shape, we put 55 gram weights and the green/yellow, on my old 98' Z 440 FC, (i know! why whould we go so heavy well, for one reason only, awsome track stands, the sled would engage at 5500 with a top speed of 79mph) but it tore my chaincase apart :withstupid: If only we could be young and stupid all the time, but just watch you chain case, i just orderd, the same clutch kit but for my 99' snopro, i kind of wonder if it is even going to do any thing because the snopros have such aggresive clutching as it is, but good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey hawk, I ran that clutch kit in my 97 ZR 580 and it worked very good, the sled will pull through the entire range. Install the kit you won't be disappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts